2005 High Performance Committee Meeting
Toronto, ON - November 5 -6, 2005
Arthur Nault VP High Performance James Wiebe CCC Jeff Gunter RCC
Joan McDonald RCC Shawn Riggs Athlete rep Gaston Bibeau RCC
Allen Jenskey Marthe Cusson
Via Telephone (Sunday only): Tom Paukovic VP 3D Susan Lemke RCC
Guest: Kathy Millar Executive Director
1. Opening Remarks and greetings from the Committee Chairperson
The meeting began at 10:00 at the Ontario Sports Alliance building. The Vice-President of High Performance welcomed James Wiebe to his first HPC meeting, and thanked everyone for attending.
2. Reading and approval of the HPC minutes from May 10, 2005 teleconference
3. Business Arising from the Minutes
Kathy reported that the package was not ready. Jacquie Saito and Ann Balmer have not been able to work together over the summer.
Joan reported that she had sent out the draft for discussion, but that only Tom Paukovic had replied. This item was tabled under Other Business.
Joan reported that she and Bruce Savage were working on the update currently.
ACTION: Joan and Bruce will have the document updated by January 15, 2006.
Allen Jenskey found the task difficult because FITA does not have an event handbook for World Ranking Events on-line. He was trying to utilise current rules, but FITA rules change too often.
Hosting Major events – Allen Jenskey & not just rules but procedure; send out draft to people who run a major event already & build it in levels of ability; what we can manage in Canada – Canada Cup, Spring Classic and FTAQ minimum standard, then what would be good and then FITA standards
-need procedure on logistics how to prepare and run double elimination – Joan & KM national champs
ACTION: Allen will produce a stand-alone document which references current rulebooks. Then he will send out the draft minimum standards to groups who have run major events in Canada already. He will include progressions toward FITA world ranking event minimum standards.
ACTION: Kathy will review the FITA congress minutes to verify whether FITA shooting rules will stay unaltered for 4 years or not. She will send a copy of the FCA Championship Hosting Manual to Allen.
ACTION: Joan will write a procedure on the logistics and preparation for double elimination rounds.
This topic inspired a complete review of the Excellence programme, ranking and squad criteria in light of FITA rule changes that changes the FITA qualification round to a ranking round at world championships, and Excellence as a valid talent identification system. HPC will strike a sub-committee to undertake this review and produce its findings by December 31, 2005. This item was tabled for further discussion under Other Business.
· FCA Operational Plan 2004-2007 – progress report
The report card for the overall plan was presented, of which HPC’s plan is only one part. All items have been completed for 2005.
· FCA Task List
The purpose and importance of the task list was explained. Monthly changes occur after each FCA President/Executive Director teleconference.
· HPC Plan to 2012 – progress report
The presentation provided action items in order to ensure that 2005 tasks were completed. The tasks for 2006 were reviewed.
Election of the HPC chairperson
Since Arthur Nault has declined to run again for the FCA Executive, HPC decided to implement a governance structure to allow for continuity over the next year.
Nominations for the chairperson were requested. Allen Jenskey was nominated and elected for the position unanimously. The term of office was not stipulated. Arthur Nault remains Vice-President HPC until the next FCA Annual General Meeting.
ACTION: Allen will draft his job description and design an action plan in order to work effectively with the national office and committee members.
ACTION: Gaston will produce a facilities inventory report for Quebec
ACTION: Kathy will use the original material to re-advertise for an Atlantic regional coach.
ACTION: Kathy will publish the names of active athlete council members in
Info.E-mail and ask if anyone else wishes to participate actively.
ACTION: Shawn Riggs and Allen Jenskey will formulate a draft policy regarding funding future differences between recurve & compound.
· Impact of Canadian Sport Review Panel reports
Though the results from the SFAF III provided positive funding news, the CSRP did not. Kathy Millar is still requesting a review of the Canadian Paralympic Committee decision, particularly in light of the performances at IPC World championships in 2005.
She outlined also the fact that Sport Canada has changed its mind and is now interested in moving ahead with phase 1 of the Long-Term Athlete Development Model. Provinces listed that have need of FCA direction in this area are British Columbia, Québec and New Brunswick. HPC representation will be needed, though not all members need attend the phase 1 meeting.
5. Implementing the HP Plan, Phase 3 –Regional Coach Projects & Activities
· Communication and meeting deadlines
Gaston Bibeau is the RCC co-ordinator. He will communicate the Council’s project status and activities more regularly to the national office and the rest of the committee. There must be monthly Skype meetings.
· Facilities Inventory – information collected so far
This item was tabled until the Sunday morning teleconference.
· Fitness for Archers Project – materials created and update
Joan outlined verbally the materials to be included in the publication. The document and testing would be included.
ACTION: Marthe will send a series of published exercises to Gaston.
· Regional Coach activity since national championships 2005 (reports attached)
· Regional Coach work plan December 1, 2005 to March 31, 2006
The fitness project will be a priority for the Council until the end of Marc. There may be need of a face-to-face meeting in order to complete the fitness document.
6. Regional Coach Activities for 2006 and Budget
· Able-bodied & AWAD camps –
No national camps are planned; Arthur is hosting two AWAD camps in Québec.
· Regional Coach booth at 2006 Canadian championships
According to the HPC Plan to 2012, 2006 is the last year for a formal RCC presence at the national outdoor championship. RCC will be present in Sherbrooke, QC.
· Possible coach workshop during the 2006 Canadian championships - TBA
· FITA Junior/Cadet World Target Championships & team leaders
Gaston Bibeau, as the only RCC coach who has no head coach experience, was appointed head coach for this event. There must be one female support staff, and one other RCC member. Bilingualism will not be an issue for this support staff.
ACTION: Kathy will call for 2 coaches for this team in an upcoming Info.E-mail.
ACTION: Al Wills will verify with COPARCO that there is no change in the general area of the junior world championships. And, if there is a significant difference distance between the qualification round and the finals, who will pay for ground transportation?
· IPC international event & team leaders - TBA
There is no word on international events or on IPC Grand Prix for 2006. AWAD archers could compete at AZ Cup or El Salvador’s World Cup, but it will be more difficult for Norbert Murphy.
· Pan American Championships and quota for Pan Am Games & leaders
The new COPARCO qualification system for quota to Pan Am Games was reviewed. The RCC head coach will be announced later.
ACTION: Kathy will call for 1 coach for this team in an upcoming Info.E-mail.
ACTION: Allen and Gaston will ensure that a head coach is appointed for this team.
ACTION: Kathy will confirm that this event will allow only 3 archers per division.
ACTION: Al Wills to clarify the question: Are World Cup events WRE?
Tabled item: Upon reflection over the entire Excellence programme and team selection issues, how will it be determined which archers would go to the World Cup finals if there are 7 qualified Canadians?
· COPARCO event for B Team & leaders
The current WRE calendar for 2006 was reviewed.
· IBO or other international event for 3D (conflict with Lethbridge dates)
This item was tabled until the teleconference.
· Budget for outdoor season 2006 and submitted Sport Canada request
For the first time, FCA was able to apply for and receive concrete budget limits for two federal funding cycles. HPC allocated Sport Canada funding to recurve archers in the following manner:
- A maximum of $9,000 will be allocated for coach travel expenses to the Championships of the Americas
- A maximum of $2,000 will be allocated initially to each recurve archers named to this event.
- A maximum of $8,000 will be allocated for coach travel expenses to the Junior/Cadet World Championships.
- A maximum of $1,000 will be allocated initially to each recurve archers named to this event.
- A maximum of $2,000 will be allocated for coach travel expenses to the World Cup in El Salvador.
- The Vice-President International will receive funding to attend the COPARCO meeting.
- No coach travel funds will be allocated to FITA Indoor World Championships, FITA World Field Championships or IBO championships.
- Able-bodied funding will be allocated to AWAD archers to compete internationally if required, due to the limited government budget for national senior team travel in 2006-2007.
7. Committee Work
· Committee Member Reports (attached)
Business arising from the reports
Governance, end of term for the Athlete Representative and the Vice-President HPC, team travel and HPC equipment programme. It was noted that Arthur Nault will not be standing for re-election.
The Vice President thanked Gary Gillies for the years he put into looking after the Equipment Programme.
ACTION: Allen will ask Don Lohnes if he would take over the administration and procurement of the existing equipment and solicit new sponsors.
ACTION: Kathy will send the updated HPC policy manual to Joan McDonald.
FISU Universiade is not a developmental event. It is the second largest sporting event in the world after the Olympic Games, with 9,000 athletes. Therefore, for the next FISU Universiade in four years, team selection criteria must reflect the high score levels needed in order to be competitive.
ACTION: Kathy will send the archer a letter explaining the reason for the funding policy and the reason for the decision to allot funding for accommodation, with carbon copy to Bruce Savage.
ACTION: Rule changes from FITA will go to RCC and James Wiebe as well as to Greg Durward, Al Wills and Ghislain Arsenault.
· CBET Update
Jim Wiebe presented the status report on Coaching Certification Committee activities to date. There was general discussion about the confusion for coaches and administrators during this transition period. Kathy noted that the transition would likely take another 5 years to completely transfer materials, clinics and certification in the database over to the new system.
ACTION: Kathy will make an overview tool to show just Instructor Beginner certification.
8. Beijing and Schedule A
Kathy outlined the two changes taking place at COC. All summer Olympic sports met to discuss International Federation criteria for Olympic Games. COC staff will present recommendations to the COC Board at the end of October. A new policy statement will be available shortly after that which will require revisions to Schedule A. Secondly, COC is willing and interested to receive Schedule B criteria that cover the “rising star” scenario. FCA’s Schedule B for Athens did not contain this clause.
9. Other Business
Two proposals from Denis Beaudet were addressed above and below in discussions the total review of the Excellence programme, squad ranking and criteria.
ACTION: Kathy will write to Denis Beaudet to advise him of these developments and to ask if he would consider being a resource person and sounding board for any draft documents.
In order to give direction to the sub-committee, HPC developed the following guidelines:
New System SHOULD:
New System SHOULD NOT:
· Decrease incentive to shoot numerous tournaments
Joan McDonald, Allen Jenskey, and Shawn Riggs will lead this group, with Tom Paukovic and one other person:
ACTION: Shawn to contact Ed Wilson.
ACTION: Joan will contact Hugh McDonald & Greg Durward (accepted)/
ACTION: Kathy will write to Denis Beaudet.
Question: Is HPC committing to this for 2006? The findings of the group, its proposal and the response of the “Sounding board” group of Greg Durward, Arthur Nault and possibly Denis Beaudet will give the HPC an answer to this question before the deadline date.
ACTION: Allen Jenskey will provide the office with an announcement for Info.E-mail on Wednesday. Suggestions from the general membership are welcomed. The message will be posted on homepage of website with a deadline date.
· Facilities Inventory – information collected so far
Susan reported that 40% of all clubs in BC can host a school programme from the preliminary information that she has received to date. She will have better information in January when clubs renew.
ACTION: Susan Lemke will send to Gaston Bibeau a copy of the questionnaire she sent out to the clubs through the membership chairperson.
· IBO or other international event for 3D
There will be no designated 3D international events in 2006. There is a conflict with dates set by IBO with those set much earlier by the Lethbridge organising committee. It appears that this conflict will have minimal affect on Alberta attendance at the FCA nationals. The 3D team criteria are published and unchanged. It appears that the Indoor 3D championship dates will be March 11 and 12, 2006.
· FCA National Team Administrator
The document was discussed by the group.
ACTION: Susan Lemke will find out what a Child Abuse Registry check entails, and who applies for it.
ACTION: Joan will revise the document. When it is approved, Kathy will have it translated and posted in Info.E-mail and on the website.
· Member complaint in 2005
The FCA member complaint process was implemented for the first time in 2005 regarding events that took place at an FCA-sanctioned event. The situation and level of disciplinary action taken by the Executive Committee was discussed. HPC members felt that FCA/HPC needs to develop a disciplinary process, particularly with respect to subsequent offences. HPC recommends there be a connection between the Member Complaint policy and the Abuse & Harassment policy
ACTION: Allen Jenskey will contact Roger Murray about this policy for subsequent offences and checks and balances.
· Powerview, MB invitation
Tom Paukovic enjoyed hosting the AWAD camp in Powerview and made an offer to hold future clinics to the RCC. Committee members thanked him for the offer.
· Level 4/5 tasks
Both Gaston Bibeau and Susan Lemke will work with Kathy Millar for guidance to fulfill the sport specific tasks required to achieve level 4 certification.
The meeting was adjourned at 13:30 on Sunday, November 6.
Calendar Decisions From Last Meeting
1. 2006 Junior/Cadet Target Championships, October, MEX
Team criteria will include results from Lilleshall World Championship.
2. 2006 World Field Championships, August 20-25, Gothenburg, SWE
Team criteria will be set if necessary.
Greater interest for 2006 – may need to be able to cut to team limits
3. 2006 AWAD international event
Team criteria will include results from Massacarrara World Championships.
4. 2006 Championships of the Americas, September 3-8, BRA.
Team criteria will include results from Madrid World Championship, qualification for Pan Am Games 2007.
5. 2006 B Team – Possible second Pan Am Games qualifier at Mexican Cup
Team criteria will include B Team policy
6. 2007 World Target Championships, July 5-15 Leipzig, GER
Team criteria will include results from Madrid World Championship.
7. 2007 Pan Am Games TBA in Brazil.
Team criteria will include results from Madrid World Championship and COC criteria as well as COPANARCO qualification.
8. 2007 World Indoor Championships
Team criteria will include results from Aalborg World Championship
VP INTERNATIONAL REPORT TO HPC 2005
As many of you know I attended a FITA think tank in September. While it was only a preliminary session to begin a new plan for FITA, there were some very interesting discussions. Certainly FITA is aware that its game is now 50 plus years old and really not very interesting to spectators and takes way too long to shoot. That is not to say that there is a quick fix, but do not be surprised to see some changes that bring more action and less ‘down time’ to FITA events. There are some obvious ones that are easier said than done, such as speeding up scoring. Scoring at a World championship takes twice as long as shooting! Something has to be done to keep spectators’ interest while archers are not shooting. What that is, or how that could affect how we participate, is anyone’s guess.
Another item was prizes. Watch for more money tournaments and more money prizes. The current Grand Prix circuit with a final after the World Junior in Mexico is just the first.
“Compounds in the Olympics” was discussed at length and no one should be surprised to see FITA attempt to find a new way to make our sport less confusing for the general public. I know it’s been tried before, but there’s new leadership in both the ICO and FITA.
There was a recognition that the sport at the Olympics (or for that matter the finals of the World Championships) does not at all resemble archery that the vast majority of archers in the world compete at everyday. Lots of discussion of what is in the heart of an archer and what type of game he/she competes in. I have enclosed the complete overview for you perusal.
You may also be aware of the new rule brought forward by Canada to allow for archers to change scorecards without a judge in target archery as in field. I have a good working relationship with the FITA office and the new Director General. The new President is a good friend. It is my hope that we will see much better relations in the future.
At your direction, I have participated at COPARCO (note the new name) congress. While there was some success initially with getting WRE dates etc, I must report that it is almost a full-time job trying to get them to respond to anything. I am supposed to be building a new website for them, but not getting a lot of support. Now that the President of COPARCO is on FITA council, I don’t see it getting much better any time soon. The good news is that they recognise Canada’s participation and we have made in-roads. I will continue to chase them and take your direction on the Americas issues.
Much of my work as VP International looks after administrative issues on behalf of International archery; it is very refreshing to do work in support of High Performance for Canada. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know! I am happy to support you!
3D VICE PRESIDENT REPORT TO HPC 2005
The fall has generally been the off season for 3D competitors as the hunting season rolls around this fall has been a little different.
Greg Durward and I are continuing to tweak the 3D rules for both the Indoor and Outdoor 3D championships. Changes being made are reflective of discussions at the 3D reps meeting in New Brunswick this summer. A synopsis is that we wish to address some of the conflicting and sometimes confusing wording associated with Age and Equipment categories. In addition we are trying to keep in line with FITA and IBO rule changes while not sacrificing the Canadian Tradition and Uniqueness of our championship.
There has been little progress on the National 3D team concept and I feel that at this time we may want to revisit our strategy. Simply without some type of funding incentive to send archers to the FITA Worlds or the IBO Worlds there is little need to join excellence. There is a perception right or wrong that we don’t have much to offer the competitive compound 3D shooters. In discussions with archers at the nationals this summer there was very little interest in pursuing this course of action. Quebec has made significant changes to their 3D program to accommodate the team concept and they are the only ones who seem interested in participating.
There continues to be scheduling difficulties with the Indoor 3D Championships to be held in Regina as the venue has been double booked and we are on the short end of the stick. Other events around the same time are limiting our choices.
In addition to the regular problems of hosting the Canadian 3D championships Lethbridge is having membership issues and there is some controversy over the different groups in Alberta. The FCA president and the Executive are aware of these difficulties and are addressing them to the best of their ability.
ATHLETE REP REPORT TO HPC 2005
This past year has been much less eventful than some previous years.
Certainly the most exciting product of this past year has been the discussion about establishing an athlete council to work within the FCA. Although the council has not yet been established, there is a small working group in place that is discussing how the council should function to best serve Canadian archers. As this council continues to develop it is crucial that athletes give there support and ideas. One of the challenges in getting the athlete council off the ground has been to get enough response and ideas from which to move forward. For athletes to continue to be an effective part of the decision making process, they need to be more proactive within the operations of the FCA. Quite often the response from athletes comes too late and in ways that are ineffective.
It was very disappointed this season to see the lack of respect that some athletes have shown for the FCA equipment programme. Over the last few years the HPC has worked hard to ensure that the burden of cost and paperwork has been balanced by the need to sustain the equipment programme. It is crucial that athletes show their appreciation for the programme by showing respect to the equipment, manufacturers and the process.
Ryan Flannigan assisted me by attending this year’s Athletes Can annual conference. He found that there was a desire among the athletes present to alter the image of amateur sport in Canada. Over the past few years there has been a great deal of discussion about the poverty of Canadian athletes and their lack of results. The representatives at conference felt that it was important that the success of Canadian athletes should be focused on, rather than their living conditions. The discussion focused a great deal about how to sell athletes to Canadians. These include focusing on the health benefits of sport as well as the social benefits of having strong role models.
I look forward to working towards the goals on the HPC development plan over the next 12 months.
ATHLETE’S SERVICES REPORT TO HPC 2005
Twelve dozen arrows were obtained from Easton for distribution to the top three archers in men’s Olympic, ladies Olympic, men’s compound, and ladies compound divisions; and ten dozen have been distributed to the appropriate archers.
Three bows were ordered and received from Win – Win, and two have been distributed to the appropriate archers.
It is hoped that when Easton’s budget comes down next month, that the F.C.A. will be able to get the same number of arrows as last year.
It is also hoped that Win – Win will be willing to supply another three bows to the Equipment Program.
Due to the problems we have had with the distribution of the bows and arrows this year, I am suggesting that a better system be developed. Perhaps the archers should be compelled to comply with all three stipulations of the athlete’s agreement before the equipment order is placed with the supplier.
Gary R. Gillies
Depuis notre dernière rencontre, il s’est passé plusieurs événements :
1- Le premier qui était ce printemps à Powerview au Manitoba avec un accueille formidable de Tom Paukovic. Était présent à ce camp de nouvelles figures très intéressantes, une première implication de Roger Murray qui voulait s’impliquer comme classificateur pour le Canada, 2 nouveaux archers qui désiraient s’intéresser à la compétition FITA, ainsi la participation d’Alec Denys pour aider ces deux nouveaux archers ainsi que Jacques Millette qui participait a ce camp.
2- Comme ce camp semble avoir donné l’inspiration à nos nouveaux archers, ils se sont déplacés pour venir faire le Championnat Canadien après avoir bien travaillé dans les régions. Ils ont fait une très belle performance au Canadien.
3- Suite à leur performance dans différentes compétitions pour se qualifier aux championnats mondiaux d’IPC, nous retrouvons Bob Hudson, Evans Kevin, et Norbert Murphy, accompagnés comme Team Leader de cette équipe Alec Denys accompagné de son amie Kathy Lessage en Italie. De plus Roger Murray accompagnait l’équipe pour suivre le cours de classificateur et aider l’équipe.
De très beaux résultats pour nos trois archers :
Norbert (W1) termine sa qualification en 6e place avec 1268 et 8e sur 16 en final
Kevin (arc à poulie – ouverts) termine sa qualification en 5e place avec1341 et 18e place en final
Bob (arc à poulie – ouvert) s’est qualifié 19e place avec un pointage de 1293 and 28e en final.
4- Suite à l’assemblée générale tenu durant ce championnat quelques règlementations furent changées mais rien de trop majeur. Il y a eu des élections à l’exécutif SAEC. Nous retrouvons à la présidence Ann Webb comme dans le passé ainsi que moi-même au même poste de vice président puis deux autres membres Marco Capignano ainsi Eugen Ørmen et la chef classificateur Pauline Betteridge et le représentant des athlètes John Cavanagh.
5- Il faut aussi retenir que le prochain championnat du monde en 2007 devrait être à 98% en Corée et en 2009 en Afrique du Sud
6- Je suis présentement en discussion avec le Centre de Réadaptions de Montréal pour deux présentations du Tir a l’Arc à des personnes handicapées ; l’une est prévue pour le 19 nombre pour des jeunes et l’autre date pour les adultes qui n’est pas encore déterminé.
7- Comme le comité international est à mettre en place un système de grand prix, il est raisonnable de penser que nous pourrions avoir ce genre compétions avec les États-Unis, le Mexique et le Brésil dans la prochaine année.
En terminant je pense qu’avec l’arrivée de la catégorie open Compound pour les prochains Jeux Paralympiques et les nouveaux archers que nous avons présentement, je crois que tous les espoirs nous son permis.
Soumis avec respect
REPORT OF THE AWAD PROGRAMME CO-ORDINATOR TO HPC 2005
Quite a few things have happened since our last meeting:
1- The first was this spring in Powerview, Manitoba with the welcomed invitation from Tom Paukovic. Present during this training camp were new, interested people, the first involvement of Roger Murray who wishes to become a classifier for Canada, 2 new archers who showed interest in FITA competitions, as well as the participation of Alec Denys to assist these two new archers as well as Jacques Millette who participated in this camp.
2- As this camp seemed to have given inspiration to our two new archers, they decided to travel to the national championships after working well in their own regions. They had very good performances at the Canadians.
3- Following their performance at different competitions to qualify for the IPC world championships, Bob Hudson, Evans Kevin, and Norbert Murphy in Italy, accompanied by Team Leader for this event Alec Denys and his friend Kathy Lessage. As well, Roger Murray accompanied the team in order to take the classifiers course and to assist the team.
There were very good results for our three archers:
Norbert (W1) qualified in 6e place with 1268 and 8e out of 16 in the finals
Kevin (compound open) qualified in 5e place with1341 and 18e place in the finals
Bob (compound open) termine lui sa qualification en 19e place avec 1293 et 28e en final
4- At the IPC general assembly held during this championship there were a few rule changes, but nothing major. There were SAEC executive elections. Ann Webb was elected president as is the past as well as I was elected to the same post as vice-president, plus two other members Marco Capignano and Eugen Ørmen, and chief classifier Pauline Betteridge and athlete representative John Cavanagh.
5- With regard to the next world championship, it should be stated that there is a 98% certainty that it will be held in Korea in 2007 and in South Africa in 2009.
6- I am presently in discussion with the Centre de Réadaptions de Montréal for two archery presentations for persons with a disability; one has been set for November 19th for young archers and the other date for adults has not been determined yet.
7- Since the international committee has set in place a Grand Prix system, it is reasonable to presume that we should engage in such competitions with the United States, Mexico and Brazil next year.
In conclusion, I think that with the arrival of the Open Compound category for the next Paralympic Games, and with the new archers that we have presently, I believe that we could realise all of our goals.
REGIONAL COACH CO-ORDINATOR QUEBEC REPORT TO HPC 2005
I am more than happy to submit this report from the region of Québec. As I was not involved with the HPC for many years, I had to catch up on many procedures and politics…
Ø I went to the world championships in Madrid as the RCC coach, where I realized I was at ease with this level of competition. I had more than a few successful interventions that paid well then and in the following months for those specific athletes. The relationship with the other staff member was great and very professional.
Ø During the nationals in New-Brunswick, I had some more interesting interventions with some of the coaches from the province of Québec. I noticed I was well accepted by them as the FCA RCC for Québec, and if any were not, they did not show it up. There was a nice team spirit in the development.
Ø Also during the nationals, I presented a part of the multi-coaches clinic on strength training, presenting the basics of strength training.
Ø I started to set up clinics for coaches with the shooters (mostly kids, but not exclusively) of my club as guinea pigs, with outside coaches invited. The format is:
o One day clinic ( 9:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)
o As much hands exercises as possible
o Design for the newcomer to tournament
o In hope the invited coaches would present the same clinics in their clubs
o Topics :
§ 1-the arrow, fletching, F.O.C., selection…
§ 2- the bow ( recurve and compound) and the string
§ 3- the tuning
§ 4- planning and interventions types (practice vs. tournaments), teaching aids (including the video)
§ 5- psychology and visualization
§ 6- shooting form and biomechanics
§ More to come (strength training …)
So far the clinics 1 and 2 have been given with around 25 people each. They all will be given once over the course of the indoor season.
Ø I gave the first part of a level III clinic on the week end of October 29-30th. 4 persons were registered, although 10-12 showed interest when announced. I was a bit disappointed, but the chemistry is super. The course will be completed by the end of the indoor season. I learned that some others, hearing the nice comments of the participants, are trying to gather a large enough group to launch a new start this spring. It is been since 1999 that a level III was certified in the province of Québec.
Ø Sport-Quebec is holding the coach’s week in November, with archery out of the activities for ages. So I pushed enough to have our own day on November 12th with the following topics :
o 1-The place of the coach in the club
o 2-The women in archery
o 3-Parent-coaches/kids-athletes and spouses coaches/athlete
o 4-Study of shooting forms recorded in Madrid
I am involved in all topics but the #2 (wonder why????). I am having the help of Gabriela Cosovan from our PSO office for the communications and planning.
Ø I set up a clinic with Dave Cousins to be held on December 10-11th. Originally, it was oriented towards the elite compound shooters. It originated from their expressed desire to have something for them, at the top level. With very low level of response from them, I widened up the offer to have sufficient participants. It will be held as planned. I will be translating.
Ø I am in the process to complete my level IV. It should be over by next spring.
Ø On the personnel level, work was very (understatement) busy since July, with coaching my personal athletes on top. As new president, I am also putting back on track the club at the Claude Robillard Center, and saved the threatened 70M indoor shooting corridor. That explains why I was quite slow at reading my e-mail. I am sorry for any inconvenient.
2005 was a much slower year for activity than the past few years have been. With the WADA code mostly implemented by the end of 2004, my role has been moving towards assisting athletes who have questions about anti-doping issues. In addition, I review updates from WADA, FITA, and CCES with regards to anti-doping measures, news or policy changes.
The following is a brief summary of the activities related to Doping Control Education:
1. Reviewed several updates to CCES and WADA rules.
2. Assisted with several inquiries from archers regarding Therapeutic Use Exemptions and rules for prohibited substances.
3. Posted several items on the FCA Discussion pages regarding anti-doping rules and issues.
4. Researched some numbers regarding the type of anti-doping offences that are taking place.
Regarding additional anti-doping education efforts, there seem to be few vehicles available to accomplish further education of our membership. Other than what is included in the Excellence welcome package, the only places to provide more information that are available at the moment are the FCA web page, and the email updates from Kathy. Since we have not yet produced an Info-Excellence, and the FCA Discussion pages are down more than they are up lately, this restricts our ability to communicate about this and other issues. Although the Discussion pages are at times a source of frustration, I would hope that we will bring these back and begin using them as a vehicle for communications, unless some other method can be developed.
In addition, I worked on items not related to Doping Control Education, including the draft of the FCA Major Event Hosting manual (not yet completed but I am working on it).
Allen S. Jenskey
Doping Control Education
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S ANNUAL REPORT TO HPC 2005
Overall: All Sport Canada funds for 2004-2005 were allocated according to block funding and FCA’s Operational Budget. FCA funds were utilised in 2005 to implement HP plans and activities this summer without benefit of a Sport Canada high performance grant and minimal financial support from COC. All official team and individual registration fees were paid for as well as entire support for all Canadian coaches and RCC members to international events. Now that Sport Canada’s 2005-2006 scheduled instalments are replenishing FCA’s cashflow somewhat, FCA is fulfilling obligations to athletes and support has begun to flow to those archers who represented Canada this year at specific international events. For the first time since 1997, FCA has a negative cashflow balance. Heading into the final quarter, where revenues are usually the smallest, this does not bode well for the remainder of FCA’s fiscal year.
Analysis: This was the first year to finance the HP Plan to 2012; it is apparent that FCA current revenue generation base is inadequate to offset disbursements. If the plans put in place are to be implemented, then external fund-raising from non-government sources must be a priority.
The SFAF III assessment was positive but the Sport Review Panel recommendations were not. Increased base funding from Sport Canada was negated to in large measure by decreases in COC funding. FCA has requested a review of the category funding established by CPC, particularly in light of the latest IPC world championship results. However, FITA world championship results did not garner the kind of results that strengthen FCA’s position with its funding partners. Fortunately, Sport Canada base funding increased for 2005-2006 and 2006-2007. Long-term Athlete Development Model plans and budget are still on hold from Sport Canada. This delay has both positive and negative implications for FCA’s future support base. FCA has insufficient human resources presently to undertake the review process; without a LTADM in place eventually FCA’s base funding will stagnate at current levels.
Other Developments relating to HP financing: Officially, the Canadian government has rejected a request from the sports community for a separate ministry for sport. Direction will continue through Heritage Canada. The COC’s Summer Sport collective has suggested an alternative governance structure with arms-length government involvement. The COC suggestions would revise internal Sport Canada structure; the Sports Matters Group model would change Sport Canada’s status within government. Either suggested model could bring longer term financial stability to NSOs. Neither option is past the discussion phase.
Conclusion: HPC should be working intensively with FCA’s new Vice-President of Marketing to implement a strategy to market people and products to a wider audience. Generally speaking, without the support of FCA membership, ACC programmes and outside agencies, HPC has poor revenue generating ability. FCA-generated funds dedicated to team uniforms and shirts were high again this year. Avalanche sponsorship has not increased HPC revenue significantly. Cash sponsorship is essential in order to ensure that HPC’s Plan to 2012 is realised.
The programme changes have met with some resistance. There has been minimal backlash over the increased fees and lack of built-in FCA membership. There are currently 71 members registered in the programme. Of the 88 people who have yet to re-apply from Excellence 2004, many are no longer in the sport at all, some have retired or injured, one became an AWAD coach and the rest do not appear to be shooting scores competitive enough to make Blue Squad criteria. In this respect, Excellence is not serving the same role in talent identification. Enhanced talent identification is a task identified by RCC and it may become a priority as Excellence attracts fewer up-and-coming archers. Welcome packages have been sent out to all new members, but the parent welcome package has not been developed yet.
Regular HP publications and updated information appears on FCA's web site regularly through Info.E-mail and direct input to the FCA webmaster. InfoExcellence has yet to be published in its newest form. Regular communication with coaches identified through the Excellence programme has not been established.
The inaugural National “B” attracted two recurve archers who did not qualify for world championships and one compound archer. This event provided more Canadian contact with COPARCO as well as provided continued international experience to Excellence members.
Gary Gillies has resigned very recently from HPC and it will be up to the committee to decide whether this position should continue or not. If it is agreed to continue with the present structure, then a replacement must be found before the end of November 2005.
The formal link between the FCA’s Coaching Certification Committee and HPC’s Regional Coaching Council should improve the necessary link between coach certification and experience. James Wiebe has replaced Reed Fowlie as CCC chairperson and since he wrote the CBET manuals and led the transition training, his input to RCC will be timely and first-hand. HPC must ensure that this link is strengthened over the life of the HP Plan to 2012.
HPC must review and monitor its policy manual annually. A few policies are redundant now and should be removed. As well, HPC should be proactive to establish policy in light of rule changes at the international level.
HPC has the following challenges ahead of it:
· End of term for Vice-President HPC in 2006
· End of term for Athlete representative in 2006
· RCC leadership to ensure initiated projects are completed
· HPC leadership to ensure projects and tasks are monitored for follow-up
· Athletes Council has to become an active body
· Ensure all 2004 and 2005 tasks in the HP Plan to 2012 have been completed
Though HPC’s attention will be distracted from the long-term plans and challenges by pressures from outside agencies and funding partners, committee members must keep a global perspective of the sport, high performance needs and execution of the Plan for the betterment of Canadian archers, coaches and volunteers. There has to be harmony and appreciation for excellence in all disciplines while at the same time concentrating on improved Olympic performance. Without the financial and moral support of all FCA members, the Plan will flounder. Without increased outside financial resources, the Plan will not be implemented in each specified year and progress will be diluted.
Activity Report year-to-date:
· Liaise with Sport Canada, COC, CPC, CIS, FITA, IFAA and Sport Matters
· Budgets and financial submissions on behalf of HPC for all national team activities and projects to the FCA Board and Sport Canada for two years
· Allocate HPC funds for Paralympic & RCC from one-time Sport Canada grant
· Preparation, financing and execution of national team travel to the World indoor championships, non-team to 3Di championships, world FITA championships, world IPC championships, FISU Games, National B team to WRE and unofficial team to Caribbean Arrows in Cuba
· Administrative support to team leaders for all events listed above
· Submission of paperwork/entry forms & payment for world team members to FITA and Organising Committees for all events listed above
· Administrative support for team uniform and shirt co-ordination for the above
· Arrange travel and accommodation for RCC to national championships
· Fund-raising for national team projects
· COC meetings regarding Pan Am Games and Beijing qualification process
· Administrative and budget support to RCC
· Administrative & budget support to VP International to COPARCO & FITA meetings
· Work with Avalanche and Marthe Cusson on new order quantity policy
· Work with national team shirt supplier
· Assist in team selection process
· Submit world records to FITA
· Register major events and FITA star tournaments with FITA
· New Carding criteria policy implemented for archers post-2004
· Produce report and represent 6 archers at carding review to AAP
· FITA & WADA doping control regulations, and gathering and submission of quarterly whereabouts forms for 1 Canadian archer in the international testing pool, as well as domestic events and testing schedule
· Assist Drug Education co-ordinator to improve communication to athletes
· Submit CCES annual plan for doping control, education, and athlete monitoring
· Assist Athlete Services co-ordinator regarding 2005 equipment programme including submission of thank you letters, contracts and payments, and delivery follow-up
· Athlete Harassment & Abuse Education programme included in PSO agreements
· Assist Jacquie Saito with revisions to Excellence welcoming packages
· Send monthly Excellence membership reports to PSO membership chairpersons
· Monitor HPC Operational Plan
· Produce and distribute draft #2 HPC Policy Manual
· Work with volunteers and professionals to ensure translation of critical documents
· Liaise with Athletes Can and provide Bell Mobility reports
· Regular Committee-related communications and information dissemination
· Work with new President to send out 2005 Team leaders and team members congratulation letters
· Advertise and administer Canada Cup bids
· Rebuttal of Sport Review Process assessment from COC & CPC
· Assist Athlete Rep with creation of Athletes Council
· Co-ordinate committee meetings, produce and circulate minutes arising
RCC MANITOBA-SASKATCHEWAN-NORTHWEST TERRITORIES REPORT TO HPC 2005
Since the 2005 Nationals in New Brunswick, there has bee little activity. A plan to attend an event in Saskatchewan was discussed with people in that province, but put on hold, pending discussion of budgetary considerations and direction from HPC.
The plan was to attend and begin the process of networking and building the RCC profile and start to deliver on some of the initiatives we have been thinking about, i.e. working with the coaches of archers intending to enter the qualification process for World Junior Championships.
The RCC had also discussed delivery of a similar presentation as was done at Nationals to reach out to more coaches across the regions. It is hoped that this can happen with the support, financially and morally of the HPC.
I would also like to look into the possibility of some interaction with archers and coaches in NWT although this may take some work.
REPORT OF COACHING CERTIFICATION COMMITTEE NOVEMBER 2005
The sports system in Canada has developed a competency based process of training and certification of coaches. Under this system, once training has taken place, the coach must show a degree of competency in performing the skill or task in order to receive certification.
There are three streams in the new coaching system: Community Sport, Competition and Instruction. Archery is in the process of developing workshops in the Instruction stream first, and then we will move on to the Competition stream. We felt that, because of the inherent risk involved in archery, the Community Sport stream was not appropriate as there is limited training involved in these workshops.
Two multi-sport workshops, Introduction to Competition A and B, have replaced the previous theory coaching courses. There are six separate areas defined in these workshops: Make Ethical Decisions, Planning a Practice, Providing Basic Nutritional Advice, Designing a Basic Sport Program, Teaching and Learning, and Basic Mental Skills. Archery has chosen to integrate the components in these general workshops with it’s own technical needs.
Our first workshop, Basic Archery for Beginners, is a 15 hour, two day session integrating Make Ethical Decisions and Planning a Practice with the basic technical skills required to run a safe practice with beginning archers. While the technical training is limited, a most important aspect of this system is the monitoring and evaluation of the new coach. We require the coach to submit a portfolio to the Learning Facilitator within one year of taking the training.
Portfolio Make Ethical Decisions (national on-line evaluation)
Develop an Emergency Action Plan
Design a Practice Plan
Design an Observation Plan
Direct observation by the Learning facilitator during the workshop
Observations from parents and participants
Observations from the club administration
Self assessment from the coach
Make Ethical Decisions will have a national on-line component, but it is not yet fully functional for evaluating the coaches.
The Learning Facilitator will be much more involved with the progress of the coach’s training under this system. This trained individual will not only be responsible for the training of the coach, but also the evaluation during the workshop and of the portfolio itself. Follow-up communication with the coach will help ensure the successful completion of the portfolio, and thus the completed certification of the coach at this level.
We have received conditional approval from the Coaches Association of Canada for this first workshop, and are now progressing through the process for the second level, Developing Intermediate Archers. Test workshops are scheduled for this fall with the CAC approval process planned for the spring of 2006.
Once these two workshops have been approved, we will proceed with the Competition stream: Introduction to Competition, Development and High Performance.
We held a Learning Facilitator training session in New Brunswick in December and a national Learning Facilitator training workshop in May of 2005 in Winnipeg. Now it is up to the trained facilitators to ply their trade and run some workshops in their provinces. The Learning Facilitators will report back to the coaching committee so that we can be apprised of the progress and success of the new program, and we will be able to react to problems and concerns.
Our coaching committee is currently working on a policy to meld the old NCCP with the new NCCP. We will deal with coaches who have full certification under the old system, as well as those who only have partial training, as well as those who wish to keep their current certification and those who wish to gain certification equivalency under the new CBET coaching system.
FCA Coach Certification Committee
HPC UNIFORM CO-ORDINATOR’S ANNUAL REPORT TO HPC 2005
We had very few uniforms made this year, only ten. As of today, Avalanche has manufactured close to one hundred uniforms. The manufacturer still requests that the order should be send in at least six weeks prior to the delivery date.
There were still some minor problems with a few orders as they (Avalanche) did all in their power to accommodate us. They were very understanding, for which I was very grateful. Their enterprise is expanding and Avalanche has set some rules about the return of clothing for repairs or alterations. An RA number will be required before returning a uniform. Also specification of corrections to be made, which I will take care if need be.
They (Avalanche) have maintained their sponsorship.
As it was discussed before, it is important that a special letter or note of emphasis should go to the athletes to inform and make them aware that as soon as they intend to make the team they should send their name and the order for their uniform must be included. And as I mentioned in the previous report, I believe this has been done before but…. The athletes were also informed that in the event they meet the criteria and make the team, part of the amount they paid for the uniform will be reimbursed. This seems a little clearer to the athletes now.
Several years ago I decided to revive the FITA STAR Award programme. This programme is really working well now. But the workload has become too much. I resign this position at the beginning of 2005. Al Wills took it over until a replacement could be found. Tracy Klat took over the programme in July.
Marty (Marthe) Cusson
Well, needless to say that this has been a very quiet year for the editor. In fact, no bulletin has been published mainly because everyone including myself seemed to have forgotten about it.
Following last year’s meeting, I was told of the new format for publishing the bulletin, which consisted in everyone on the Committee supplying articles to the editor.
On two occasions, e-mails were sent to each and every one of you about submitting articles for publishing. But, mind you, I must admit that no great effort was made on my part to get the publishing material.
Maybe one of the main reasons for this nonchalant attitude on my part toward the bulletin is that I firmly believe that there is no special need for such a bulletin. Judging by past experience and talking to many athletes, very few of them read the bulletin. Many of them did not even know they were supposed to receive one and foremost, many felt the bulletin was but a redundancy of news already received via other means of communication.
Considering the cost of publishing and mailing, considering also that it is published but once a year, I do not think that this form of communication with the athletes is very efficient or practical.
As the editor (???), I would strongly suggest terminating publishing the bulletin and maybe concentrate the efforts on really pertinent matters; such as articles or information that will really help the archers. Should my services be required for translation or other means of information (like the article on 30 years of Canadian Archery at Worlds and Olympics posted on the FCA site) I will be more than willing to be of help. Until then, I remain:
RAPPORT ANNUEL DE L’ÉDITEUR
Eh bien, inutile de mentionner que la dernière année en fut une des plus tranquille.
En fait aucun bulletin ne fut publié. La raison principale?. Je crois que tous incluant moi-même l’avait oublié.
Suite à la réunion du comité l’an dernier, il était décidé de tous et chacun de vous devait m’envoyer des articles pour publication. A deux occasion, j’ai acheminé des courriers électroniques vous demandant vos articles à publier. Mais…Remarquez bien que je n’ai pas fait d’efforts supplémentaires pour en obtenir.
Peut-être que la raison majeure de cette attitude provient du fait que je crois sincèrement qu’il n’y a pas de besoins actuels pour un bulletin. Selon mon expérience antérieure, ayant discuté avec beaucoup d’athlètes, très peu de ces derniers lisent le bulletin, plusieurs ne savent même pas qu’ils/qu’elles devaient en recevoir un et quoi de plus, plusieurs croient que le bulletin n’est qu’un dédoublement de nouvelles ou informations déjà reçues de différentes sources de communication.
Tenant compte du coût de publication et d’envoi postal et le fait que le bulletin est publié qu’une fois l’an, je considère ce moyen de communication avec les athlètes comme étant inefficace et non pratique.
Comme éditeur (???) je suggère fortement au Comité de mettre un terme à la publication du bulletin et concentrer vos efforts sur des moyens plus efficace afin d’aider les archers. Tels des articles ou informations pertinentes qui aideront.
Si je peux vous être utile soit pour traduction ou autres services (article sur les trente années des archers canadiens aux Mondiaux et Olympiques publié sur le site de la FCA) n’hésitez pas à me contacter.
Regional Coach Co-ordinator BC/ Alberta Report to HPC 2005
It is with great relief that I write this activity report. SportBC recently notified BCAA that received funds from “Legacies Now”. BCAA will be getting an increase in its block or CORE Grant funding. The increase is substantial and BCAA is very happy about it. This will allow us to work towards hiring an Executive director for the BCAA and begin looking a paying a coach or two. The BCAA is looking to complete a $1200.00 equipment package to a coach in the North Vancouver area where we have managed to establish a new club facility. Also a new club in Oliver is being supported by BCAA purchase of a net and butts with two level 3 coaches there. And we are looking at Doug Soar being involved with another shooters clinic in the spring leading into the BC Indoor in the Quesnel area with an overlap for the Canada Winter games identification.
My application to the Petro Canada Coaching program was accepted and the school fees to complete my level 4 have been paid for. On that note, I have completed 6 of the 12 tasks required for my level 4. I am in the process of laying out my practicum and will be seeking support in the way of time from both Joan and Kathy in the early part of next year. I have been granted money to help with meeting and spending time with these ladies, as well there is money to pay them for their time.
Much to my relieve, I also have a professional development opportunity, so if the HPC established the shooting events for the A & B team travel, I could apply for potential travel with the team outside of funding by the FCA, allowing some funds to be available for another coach or team support to go as well. This application would have to be for the year 2005-2006 with completion by March 31st 2006. If it does not work out that team travel is available, I could use it in conjunction with a LTAD seminar.
Aside from the practical, I also have to complete sport specific tasks that are laid out by the FCA. I would like to know what the tasks required need to be as well as any resources that would be available to me for this work. I will be interested in seeing any information regarding the Long Term Athlete Development model as well. I have already indicated that I am interested in working on this project, but it seems that we are having trouble with the funding of such.
I have made several inquiries regarding the list of names that was created at the Nationals on the night the coach seminar was presented. It would have been a great way to deliver some of the information that was presented that evening. I had several positive comments on my Iceberg concept and very constructive comments on how I could increase the length of the presentation and engage those present. From that evening I found that aside from the physical preparation there is a very large need for the tools for mental training.
I have had some communication with Larry Kelly; he has indicated that his club has exploded in recent months and that he is extremely busy. I have offered to come out and be of support to his program, but this is strictly in the discussion stages. I am hoping that in the near future I can have an opportunity to travel to Alberta and get to know some of the coaches there to begin expanding the network that has been started.
Recently was contacted by some coaches from the Maritimes, regarding Canada Games team selection templates and thoughts on mental training.
Canada Games inquiry
Last month I managed to track down Richard Way. He has been the Representative in BC for the Canada Games Council. I inquired about the manner in which events were selected for the Canada Summer Games and where Archery stood in his selection process. The following is his reply
“In BC we were not asked to ‘select’ sports for the Games.
There were a number of sports which were predetermined as been in the Games. We are asked to rank sports that were on the bubble. I don’t remember Archery been a sport that we ranked so I assume you were predetermined, thus in the Games.
Regarding Winter and Summer the ranking group had nothing to do with that. Another sport doing LTAD did ask my opinion about moving from Summer to Winter as apparently there was pressure to move sports. So I assuming the Canada Games Council asked a number of NSOs?”
I have been contacted by Kevin Evans and his coach, Vladimir Kopecky. They are interested in knowing what WRE and other qualifying events Kevin needs to attend in order to be eligible for the Paralympics in Beijing.
In September I forwarded a letter to the membership secretary of the BCAA. She in turn will send it out with club renewals to all the clubs in BC requesting information regarding their ability to inform us of their club inventory and help support the schools in their areas, as well as any other potential that comes our way. BCAA could direct the schools to the clubs if we knew what the clubs had in the way of equipment and facilities.
I am hoping to expand this letter to the Yukon next, only because I know that the club situation is small there and it should not take too much to establish inventory there. Alberta is larger, and I will need some support to approach the clubs there in order to advance this tool.
I have been working with the coach co-ordinator here, Paul Mackwood to try and improve communications between the two levels of governance. We seem to be a bit slow off the mark developing new LF's for the Beginners Archery Stream. I am hoping that this will be worked out shortly as two facilitators in this province are not acceptable.
I have also had the opportunity to mentor two relatively new coaches. Their desire to teach archery in a constructive manner is refreshing. They are starting to question in the clubs where they teach why so many coaches teach new students to hook their index finger in the corner of their mouth instead of going right to under the chin. The affect has been interesting to say the least and they seem to be able to get away with things that I could not. So we may be seeing a bit of a shift in the logic in a couple of clubs in BC over the next 10 months or so; but it is relatively local for the time being.
I managed to establish a connection with the director at BC Blind Sports. He is eager to create some sort of partnership to have camps that include archery for kids as well as adults. With Archery being accepted by the IBSA, there is potential as a demonstration sport at the IPC world championships and Paralympics in the future, opening up a whole new population to archery that has been relatively untapped.
RANKING CO-ORDINATOR REPORT HPC 2005
Scores were very slow to appear this year. In fact, I got very few after the team was selected for Spain. There seemed to be some confusion about the new requirement for sending along results with scorecards. The word was out that I required a “Tournament Validation Sheet”.
The upshot of this was that I used the results that were posted on the FCA web site for the ranking list. I got the results from all of the Québec FITA’s in one package in the middle of October. The one exception is the Ste-Foy club who sent their results regularly.
Perhaps we should consider not requesting scorecards and just using results since in effect that’s what I did anyway. I also think that all clubs should be required to submit results electronically for posting on the FCA web site.
Work was begun on a comprehensive new system so that results could be entered directly onto the FCA web site by the tournament organizers. However, the volunteer doing this work has been sidetracked by his paying job, but we hope to have a working prototype out by about Christmas for comment.
There was considerable frustration with FITA’s that were registered but not paid for and therefore did not appear on the FCA ranking list and appeared “hidden”. Finally a motion was passed at the Board meeting in the summer that requires all Canadian FITA’s be paid for at the time of registration, which must be 30 or more days before the event.
There is still considerable frustration with locations that register FITA’s, but have only one and sometimes two butts so that very few people can attend. Since some very high scores were shot in some of these FITA’s, they were viewed with suspicion. It would be useful to have a discussion about this issue to see if there is a solution.
Team selection for the World Championships was done and published on time despite the fact that I was in Mexico during this time. The Mexican training centre did not have an internet connection that I could use, so I had to go to the local hotel to connect and get the results from Canada Cup.
The criteria for Gold, Red and Blue squad were reworked according to the FCA policy for the seniors for 2006 and 2007 and published on the FCA web site.
The HPC should have a discussion about how the new FITA rules affects the FCA ranking list and team selection. As you know the rationale for Gold, Red and Blue squad is the average of the previous two world championships for:
· Gold 16th place
· Red 64th place
· Blue 93% of Red
This policy was published on the FCA web site and a link to this policy was put on each equipment category’s ranking page.
64th place has been used as that is where the cut is for match play at world championships. The criteria for red squad is also used for team selection – in order to make the world team, archers must have an average at Red squad level or above.
FITA has now virtually removed the requirement for a cut at World Championships by moving the cut from 64th place to 128th place. In 2005 the recurve men were the only equipment category with more than 128 competitors.
This change blows the logic for our policy out of the water and will make it difficult to justify to Canadian archers any logic behind our team selection requirements.
I don’t have a recommendation for this issue and would like to initiate discussion to get some ideas.
Nous voila rendu à la fin d’une autre année, mais en même temps le début d’un autre grand cycle qui nous conduira aux de Jeux de 2008 et 2012. Depuis les deux dernières réunions de HPC le comité ces enrichie de plusieurs membres, ce qui est une très bonne chose.
Le Conseil des Entraîneurs Régionaux qui a pris sont départ l’an passé doit, à mon avis, continuer de travailler d’avantage a donner le maximum d’informations aux entraîneurs à travers tous le Canada si nous voulons que les archers Canadiens figurent sur le plan mondial.
Nous avons la chance d’avoir dans le groupe d’entraîneurs Canadiens des personnes d’une très grande expérience et cela à travers tout le Canada. Nous sommes privilégiés que ces personnes veulent bien travailler ensemble pour l’avancement de notre sport. IL FAUT EN PROFITER AU MAXIMUM.
Pour ce qui est de ma part, je ne demanderai pas un autre mandat comme Vice-président du comité de HPC, mais je suis toujours intéressé de continuer de travailler comme responsable du programme pour les personnes ayant un handicape.
Je voudrais remercier ici Gary Gillies qui depuis toutes ces années faisait ce travail pas facile de fournir de l’équipement aux archers qui sont sur les programmes de la Haut Performance. Merci Gary.
Merci à chacun d’entre vous pour le travail et le temps que vous consacrez pour notre sport. Merci pour votre tolérance avec mon anglais et un merci toute a fait spécial à Kathy pour tout le travail.
Soumis avec respect
VICE PRESIDENT’S REPORT TO HPC 2005
Here we are at the end of another year, but at the same time at the beginning of a big cycle that will lead us to the 2008 and 2012 Games. For the last two HPC meetings the committee has been enriched with several more members, and this is a good thing.
The Regional Coach Council, which was launched this passed year, must in my opinion, continue to work well in order to give the maximum information to coaches across all of Canada if we wish Canadian archers to figure in the world level.
We have the opportunity to have in the group of Canadian coaches those people with a lot of experience across the entire country. We are privileged that these people wish to work well together for the advancement of our sport. WE MUST PROFIT BY THIS TO THE MAXIMUM.
For my part, I will not be seeking another mandate as HPC vice-president, but I am interested still in continuing to work as the person responsible for the programme for athletes with a disability (AWAD).
Now I would like to thank Gary Gillies who for many years performed the not so easy job to supply equipment to archers in the High Performance programme. Merci Gary.
Thank you to each of you for the work and the time that you have dedicated to our sport. Thank you for your tolerance of my English and a special thanks to Kathy for all the work.
Team Leader Report - 2005 World Championship
Madrid, Spain, June 20 – 26, 2005
Team Leader-Bruce Savage
Coach – Joan McDonald
Assistant Coach – Jeff Gunter
Assistant Coach – Gaston Bibeau
The call for team staff was again late however, the FCA policy did work with Joan McDonald named as team coach and selecting the Team Leader and Assistant Coaches. The FTAQ named a bilingual coach.
The FCA should follow this time line to name the coach for teams.
September call for coach applications
Fall HPC meeting name the coach
December 15th Coach submits names of team leader and support staff
December 31st HPC approves names and announces staff
The number of support staff should be as follows:
1 – 3 athletes 1 staff person
4 – 7 athletes 2 staff people
8 – 10 athletes 3 staff people
11+ athletes 4 staff people
This may be difficult for the coach, since the size of the team is not known until 6 – 8 weeks before the event. So the coach may predict a certain size team and suddenly may have to add or subtract staff from the team; but it is a good guideline. FITA has changed the numbers for World Championships to 3 per country, per equipment, per gender. So the largest possible team is now 12 athletes rather than 16; the number of staff required will most probably decrease as well.
The team worked very well together in Spain. The Team staff had some chance to work together ahead of time which really helped, but by naming the staff at least six months ahead would give the staff much more time to plan and take the load off the FCA office. This staff was a group that had the same basic philosophy and were all thinking and working in the same direction all the time. They delivered a consistent message to the archers and indeed were able to “trade off” with different archers so give support with different words, but the same message, with good results. It definitely showed that the FCA policy of naming the coach and the coach selecting a good, functioning team staff had real benefits. This policy should definitely be continued. It was fun and a pleasure to work with this staff.
The team selection criteria were posted on the FCA web site in January 2005 and were quite straightforward. There were no problems selecting this team. Announcing the team was somewhat tricky as Joan McDonald was in Mexico but the team was announced on time.
The selection date of May 13 was very early, which did not give many archers a chance to qualify. But, the early date of the tournament left the FCA with little choice. We have normally named the team 6 weeks before the event. It is a recommendation of the team that wherever possible, the team should be named 8 weeks before the event.
It was expected that more recurve archers would make the team. This is a little worrying as FCA funding is dependent on performance by recurve archers and with so few able to meet the red squad standard, it shows that we have a long way to go to be successful.
The competition to make the world team was quite intense, especially for compound men. As scores came in, I updated the spreadsheet and sent it to the FCA web site, as well as e-mailing it to the archers involved to keep them up-to-date.
Most people ordered their track suits in advance of the tournament. However, some archers did not want to spend this money before they made the team, and they also felt that they would not wear the track suit if they did not make the team, as they would not have earned it. Despite this, Avalanche came through and everyone had his or her track suits on time. It is a recommendation of the team that the FCA have a track suit in the office that could be used if it is needed.
FCA policy was used to select the team that would compete on the compound men’s team and worked well. (Compound men were the only team in the team event.) In fact, the whole compound men’s team worked together well. In the actual team round the fourth player was substituted in, as one of the members felt he was not shooting well enough for the team to be competitive.
The organizing committee in Spain wanted everything paid for in advance (usually organizing committees only ask for half the payment in advance). Kathy Millar had everyone put the cost of accommodation, “banquet”, etc on their credit cards with the FCA, and then Kathy paid the whole amount to the organizing committee. This made the registration of the team on arrival very easy with only a few spelling corrections. Usually I have spent 3 – 5 hours, and several trips, trying to sort out payment in the past when each archer had to pay their own fees.
Regardless of what the organizing committee asks for in the future, I would recommend that the FCA collect all the money in advance using credit cards and then pay all the fees at once to the organizing committee.
Travel went reasonably well with only one bow not arriving on time (Benny Parenteau). The organizing committee was very helpful finding Benny’s equipment. We were all met at the airport without problem. The return to the airport was also handled well, except for the driver that fell asleep causing Anna to take a taxi for her early morning flight. However, the organizing committee paid her taxi fare without question.
Whenever possible, we should name the team 8 weeks in advance and have either the Team leader or one of the assistants work with the archers to try and get as many as possible on the same flights. This makes everything easier for arrival and finding luggage etc. Jeff did quite a bit of this for the western contingent on this team and we should expand it in the future.
The hotel was satisfactory. Air conditioning for this venue was essential – it was very, very hot. I picked the cheapest hotel with air conditioning and chose the plan that included meals. The food was definitely not good. We were served the same meal night after night and in total had only three different meals for the entire time we were there. The hotel had two elevators. One of them held 4 people shoulder to shoulder and the second two people shoulder to shoulder, definitely the smallest elevators in the world!!
We had heard about organizational problems with this tournament for many months. The tournament itself was actually run pretty well, but only because of enormous efforts by some of the FITA organizers.
Despite all this, some things worked very well. Transportation was excellent and on time. The volunteers at the airport were helpful and found and delivered a piece of Benny’s luggage that did not make the connection in Frankfurt. On one occasion there was only one bus to bring the afternoon shooters to the field, which was not enough, but fortunately our hotel was always first on the route and we were not affected.
For the third time in the last five world championships the field faced east! There seems to be a slow learning curve here. This resulted in a change to the schedule about 3 weeks before the tournament began, with it starting later (10am) and putting all the recurve archers in the morning and compounds in the late afternoon.
It was extremely hot, averaging about 38 degrees each day. Conditions on the field were excellent and there was very little wind and only a sprinkle of rain on one afternoon.
The target assignments were not available until the morning of the tournament. Back numbers did not appear until half way through the first day of shooting. Results were slow appearing and final results at the end of the day had to be obtained from the internet. During match play, the wrong scorecards were delivered to the archers causing about a 20-minute delay in shooting. Water was very slow to appear the first day; indeed it was almost non-existent. At the beginning of shooting in the afternoon on the second day, the announcer George Techmitchov asked the archers to stay under the tents and would not start the shooting until water was delivered to the field. This stand off with the organizing committee won George huge support from the archers and it only took the organizers about 20 minutes to provide the water.
The team captains’ meeting was well done and there were no major controversies. The scoring was done by the archers with one archer recording the “official” score on a scorecard and the second inputting the arrow values directly into an electronic device at the target which went directly into a computer. There was no scoreboard. Instead scores were printed and posted on boards placed behind the athlete area after the second and fourth ends, but final results at the end of each session did not appear. We went back to the hotel and the internet for final rankings.
George Tekmitchov was the announcer and kept things going with his usual expertise.
The team worked well together with very few problems. Everyone made an effort to form a cohesive group right from the first day and it worked well. Having a fully involved, bilingual coach made a big difference and this practice must be continued.
Compound Women 87 compound women competed (up from 69 in 2003)
It was disappointing to only have one compound woman from Canada when a full team had made the criteria in 2003. Two other women met the FCA’s criteria, but declined to attend the tournament. Obviously Canada did not have a team. There were 19 women compound teams (up from 15 in 2003).
Dawn Groszko’s FITA score was below her average, although there was quite a bit of wind at 50 and 30m. She was not happy with her match play performance.
Yr end 2004
329(29) 342(38) 1344
Compound Men 129 compound men competed (up from 107 in 2003)
The compound men worked well as a group and there were no problems. Having Gaston, who was able to work with Benny in French, made an enormous difference both on the field and off.
There were 31 compound men’s team up from 26 in 2003. The Canadian team placed 10th after the qualification round. Their first match was against the Netherlands and started out very close. But the Netherlands team gained one or two points of Canada each end, defeating them 258 to 251. They finished in 11th place.
The team was named using the FCA policy. Blair started the round, but felt he was not shooting well enough and Benny stepped in to finish the round.
Kevin Tataryn was quiet and controlled during the competition. He shot very well on the first day, with a terrific 70m and was 3rd at the end of the day. He was not as happy with his shooting the second day. He felt that he was not in peak shape because the tournament was so early in the season. His match play scores got better as he went along, 166, 168, and 171. His match in the quarterfinals was very exciting with Kevin losing by one point, shooting 116, which was the third highest score of the round. His 5th place finish is terrific and was very exciting to watch and thrilling to have a Canadian with this potential – he could easily be a world champion.
Blair started the tournament off very well, but struggled at 30m. His FITA was quite a bit lower than his selection and 2004 ranking average and his match play score of 158 was also low.
Benny had a miss at both 90m and 30m but was able to fight back each time. It turned out that he had a faulty release. His FITA score was well below his selection and 2004 ranking average. His match play score was 162.
Kevin Brayford’s shooting in the FITA round was consistent, but below his selection and ranking average. He maintained a good attitude throughout. His first match play round was excellent with a score of 168. His second score of 164 ended in a tie, which he lost.
Yr. End 2004
338(29) 351(38) 1364
3241(18) 339(107) 1349
335(54) 336(116) 1326
337(37) 342(92) 1331
Recurve Women 109 recurve women competed (down considerably from 138 in 2003)
Only two recurve women qualified for the team which was a disappointment. There were 23 teams down from 32 teams in 2003.
Marie-Pier and her coach had a major conflict at this tournament on the shooting field. They had many arguments during both days of the FITA round which were obvious for all to see and hear. This tension had an impact on the rest of the team and on her shooting. Her FITA scores were well below both her selection average and her 2004 ranking average.
Anna had a shoulder injury, which caused her to suddenly release arrows whether she wanted to or not resulting in many misses. Her scores were well below her averages.
Yr. End 2004
300(78) 330(84) 1228
302(73) 327(91) 1193
Recurve Men 143 recurve men competed (down from 174 in 2003)
Only two men met the qualifying standard for this tournament. It was predicted that at least one additional man would make the standard. This is ominous for our future. There were 31 recurve men’s teams, down from 37 in 2003.
Crispin shot reasonably well and within range of his selection average, but 12 points off his 2004 ranking average. He lost is first match with a low score of 155.
Jay shot good one minute and then poorly the next minute. He needs considerable support to keep him shooting well. He has little experience in major competition and must compete more in both Canada and the United States if he is to improve. His mental attitude defeats his shooting, which is quite good. Without a more positive attitude and much better mental processes he will continue to struggle at this level of competition.
Yr End 2004
324(52) 35121() 1292
313(100) 348(41) 1267
Comments from the Archers and Final Review
Dawn Groszko – Get credentials for coaches to be on the press line so we have some good video. It would also get more people on the field. Thought the team worked well.
Kevin Brayford – Have extra uniforms available. Thought it was a smooth team.
Kevin Tataryn – Change the team shirt material to dry fit. Thought the white board and notes on the door was a good idea. The first four shirts an archer receives should be all the same – the archer’s choice.
Blair Lyon – The team should be named earlier.
Benny Parenteau - Thanks to the team staff. He prefers T-shirts to polo shirts. The team shorts are too hot. Thanks to the compound archers that made him part of the team. He learned and got good experience. The team should be named earlier.
Anna Mozhar – It was a great team. She had all the information she needed and the support staff was always there.
Crispin Duenas – had no comments
Jay Lyon – Satisfied.