High Performance Committee Meeting
Montréal, PQ - October 19-20, 2002
Arthur Nault, Vice-President HPC Shawn Riggs, Athlete Representative
Joan McDonald, Scores &Team Selection Allen Jenskey, Doping Control Education
Marthe Cusson, Uniform Co-ordinator Gary Gillies, Athlete Services Co-ordinator
Claude Malouin, Score Monitoring
Guest: Kathleen Millar, FCA Executive Director
1. Call to Order
The meeting was convened at 9:30 am at Arthur Nault's house in Brossard, PQ.
2. Opening Remarks and greetings from the Committee Chairperson
Arthur thanked everyone for attending.
2a. Approval of the Agenda
3. Reading and approval of the minutes November 03-04, 2001 as circulated
3a. Business arising from the minutes
ACTION: Gary will include the report on bows allocated under the new Win & Win agreement in the next Info-Excellence in January.
Marthe Cusson reported the price for drawstring plus elastic waistline pants is the same price from Avalanche.
ACTION: Joan will be providing a team leader handbook by December 14.
Joan is preparing a different version of the 18-arrow round.
- Vice-President of HPC (verbal)
- Reports from major events 2002
Bob Tataryn’s report as manager of the Junior World Team was accepted and tabled. Joan’s report as team leader for Championship of the Americas was accepted. Funding was not the issue for the event. The athlete rep felt that the cost to qualify for the team was expensive. There was a problem with the team selection list not appearing on the web. This was an over-sight, but the process needs to be streamlined. Lack of youth participation had to do with the tournament date so close to school. This item was tabled. (Report attached). There was no report submitted by the team coach, though it was requested in time for this meeting.
- Score & Selection co-ordinator
Joan reported that there were no problems in team selection for the 2 able-bodied teams. The World Indoor Championships is next. The data will be out and up on the web site soon. The current ranking is too complex. 99% of the problems occurred because of cadet boys not shooting the senior round, and this added complexity. Joan suggested adding another person to the High Performance Committee for exclusive fund-raising and Marketing to sell the Olympic Team. This point was tabled. (Report attached)
ACTION: Claude will re-write the database.
- Disabled Archers co-ordinator
Norbert Murphy & Alec Denys shot a tournament in Nymburk, CZE. Norbert has improved this year. US Open and FCA championships were also major events. The major event for 2003 will be the world championships, which is the qualification for Athens. IPC SEAC has not worked for the past 3 years and now is active since the London meeting. Therefore, the 2003 Championship organization is late. It is slated to be held in Spain September 5-15. Arthur is Technical Delegate for Athens and is now VP SEAC. Thought this will be time-consuming, Arthur is ready to work with the Canadian programme regardless of other commitments.
- Athletes Services co-ordinator
Delivery of Win & Win is a difficulty and FCA is not sure why this action is so slow. Kathy has been in touch with Al Wills, and as of the meeting date there was still no delivery. There will be a possibility to obtain 50% X10’s for the12 dozen arrows for 2003.
- Athlete Representative
Since the board meeting, Shawn updated his board report on issues and the success of the athlete Town Hall at national championships. Under the new nationals format, Shawn felt that this type of meeting could become an annual event. There was a great benefit to the archers who they felt their concerns were being heard. Due to the lack of participation by provincial athlete representatives, Shawn accepted volunteers off the floor on a regional basis. There had not been too many pressing issues since the nationals. Shawn is still awaiting the outcome of the ABAM election to replace Ed Wilson. (Report attached)
- Promotion & Communication
As soon as documentation comes in, Laurier puts it into the template regularly. The committee should provide him articles for the beginning of December. He feels that he is not getting appropriate participation.
ACTION: Highlights from this meeting, as well as articles, should be sent to Laurier to be included and out before Christmas.
- HP Coach co-ordinator
This position’s vacancy was tabled.
- Uniform Co-ordinator
Avalanche continues to be one of the best companies that FCA has ever worked with. There was a problem with the Avalanche contract due to the small number of orders FCA submitted this year. Marthe was able to work through these difficulties successfully.
- Doping Control Education
Allen Jenskey submitted a draft guidebook for people making declarations. He found Nancy Littke very helpful and co-operative. The system is constantly changing but IOC and FITA lists are the same and eventually that list will line up with WADA. However, currently there are 3 different places to refer to, as well as the sport-specific listing.
Allen sought direction from the committee as to what other areas to pursue. FCA will need to be involved. Athletes Can has no position paper on the WADA code.
ACTION: HPC should review Allen’s draft and submit comments to him as soon as possible. It needs to be translated, published on the FCA web site and circulated to athletes. Whenever the guidebook is modified there has to be notification.
ACTION: Allen and Shawn will review of the WADA code as to who is tested, and the definition of the testing pool.
ACTION: The HPC directed Al Jenskey to state the HPC position that athletes should be advised whenever trace elements of banned/restricted substances are found in testing. This information is the right of the athlete. He will draft letter to CCES.
ACTION: CCES doping control athlete information seminars should be available during the FCA nationals.
ACTION: Al Jenskey will write CCES asking that archers be exempted from the blood sample test process.
AWAD issues: Doping control testing for athletes with a disability is new, so any special considerations or list of restricted/banned substances has not been addressed. IPC is relatively new to the international scene. As FITA works more closely with IPC Archery, there may be clearer guidelines.
- Executive Director (As submitted)
- President’s Report
Al Wills report was added. The appearance of inappropriate Equipment Programme behaviour should be corrected. Transparency is an issue. Need for proof of why arrows were ordered and then re-sold and the reasoning behind it. Bows are different but arrows are consumable supplies.
ACTION: Gary will publish the 2002 arrows and bow allocations on web site and in Info Excellence. Gary will outline how bow recipients are selected and the history of who has received Win & Win bows. Rotating system of bows has to be on the web. Policy has to be put in place for how arrows are received under the equipment program that are the incorrect model or size can be disposed of.
Canadian Championships: The discussion did not support the president’s view. Archers have limited disposable income to go to tournaments and the current competition level at this event is not as high as the big US tournaments or international events. As well, the national championship often conflicts with tournaments that are clearly better for the archer who aspires to compete internationally. So Canadian archers have chosen to attend those events instead. It was this discussion over cost that led to the resolution below to encourage the provinces use the money they do get for their very best archers.
ACTION: In the PSO agreement, FCA should have some say as to who receives the government funding to national championships. PSO’s and FCA should use the ranking list where appropriate or forward the province’s list of provincial elite, with objective criteria.
5. HPC composition and expansion
Arthur Nault reported on the HP Coach Co-ordinator Position and attempts to fill the position with a qualified person. Arthur Nault reported that he asked Michel Perreault and Michel felt that he did not have good enough English. No one else has been contacted so far. The committee suggested a new list of candidates.
ACTION: Arthur Nault will contact these people in the priority listed by HPC by the end of the month.
- National input – update
The FCA discussion page is a useful tool to encourage input from across the country and from compound shooters. This tool will be used for information and discussion items only and not to gather statistics or conduct surveys.
ACTION: There should be a greater link between the discussion page and information posted on the FCA web site as a whole. Arthur will contact Al Wills.
ACTION: Laurier should include the FCA discussion page in the next InfoExcellence bulletin to advertise that this service available.
- MSN meetings
This option is always open although no one used it this year. It may become useful in discussions concerning Pan Am Games criteria, Schedule A for Athens, and Chula Vista preparations.
- Marketing Position
Discussion centered on the suggestion in Joan’s report to add a position to this committee. Present members have enough to do and a new person is needed. The goal would be to raise money to train the recurve team. If there were sufficient funds then it would be used to train coaches and include other archers.
The committee member would have to create a job description, what they have to do and what FCA has to sell. The committee person’s job is to seek out marketing experts to raise money for the national recurve team. The new committee member shall co-ordinate the marketing strategy with the expert to complete the task. There should be no conflict with other sponsors, etc. The archery person does not have to market and the person who has marketing does not have to be archer. The committee suggested three people as possible committee members. Primary events to raise money for would be World Teams, Championship of Americas and Grand Prix tournaments.
ACTION: Joan will contact these 3 people by November 15, 2002 to see if they are interested.
6. 2002 Budget
Kathy presented 2 sets of financial worksheets, illustrating how blocks and then projects listed restricted funds from government. She outlined which funds could be moved with government approval, and which ones could not, such as funds for coach salaries and Athletes With A Disability. Some government-funded projects could not be finished until government money was forthcoming. FCA-generated funds could be used to reimburse volunteers and athletes as usual. She asked the committee for input with regard to the worksheets and was open to suggestions to make the financial accountability easier to present and understand.
7. Excellence Programme
- Assessment of Excellence 2004 to date
Kathy reported an activity increase in reporting scores and interest in being monitored though numbers are 60% of Excellence 2000 totals by the end of that programme.
- Athletes Can cell phone programme & administration
Kathy reported that this programme is not easy to administrate and that FCA was responsible for naming the archers only, and not responsible for the programme itself. When athletes have questions or problems, Athletes Can is the first connection, not FCA.
ACTION: Kathy will provide an article outlining the System of Complaints and inquiries. It should be listed in InfoExcellence and Info.E-mail.
- Athlete Equipment programme
- Equipment programme & allocation 2003
For bow allocation, in even years bows went to Olympic women, Olympic men and wheelchair; for odd years it was recurve men, recurve women and wheelchair. No bows were allocated to the same person 2 years in a row. No bows were given to archers under contract with bow manufacturers already.
ACTION: Kathy will post this on the web site.
ACTION: Gary will include this in his article for the next InfoExcellence.
In order to receive arrows, archers have to be ranked gold and red squad. The issue was that ranking was not fair because it is does not reward ranking performance without sex differentiation. Sponsored athletes can not be factored into this.
ACTION: KM These terms should be listed in the arrow agreement.
- InfoExcellence, editor and budget considerations
Marthe is the liaison between the committee and Laurier, so she asked people to answer any correspondence please.
ACTION: Marthe will contact Al Wills and Monai Wanner to see if they wish to pay for flyer information to promote their national events. This fee would apply for the Ontario Spring Classic also. Save $30 on individual member mailing.
- - Junior and Cadet Ranking Criteria / revised outdoor criteria after Nymburk
Kathy presented a draft for consideration. Some categories were straightforward, but others lacked participation numbers at the world championship level. The work was accepted with modifications.
ACTION: Kathy will finalise this work and submit it to Laurier for InfoExcellence. Kathy and Jacqui Saito will update the criteria for the Excellence welcome package.
Continuing on the topic of Team selection criteria, Shawn Riggs wished to see the system modified to allow archers to compete even if they do not make red squad but fill the team compliment.
It was stated that the Excellence programme selection criteria bar is appropriate for performance at world championships, but FCA has lost programme depth because the blue squad does not have the sense of competition. Secondly, individual and team camaraderie is different at international events than anything archers experience nationally. Third there is no reward for training and the desire to compete at an international event as a team. The HPC looked at what opportunities would be available to blue squad Excellence members.
- Squad rankings on the web page – proposal
Claude outlined his plans for the web page. There were plans for the High Performance section, the ranking system reports and the FCA web page as a whole. There are two databases, one for ranking and tournament schedule and excellence members so Claude would like to combine them and put them on the Internet. These plans are still being finalised with Claude’s company. He will be in touch with the national office when more practical suggestions are available.
- Ranking system under review - elimination round criteria
Entering the data is easy but publishing the ranking list is too much work. Under the proposed system, updates would immediately go to the web site. The database protocol needs to be changed and require data entry only. The new system would allow Kathy to update the tournament schedule automatically. Presently, the list of tournaments in the ranking database is very difficult to find. Claude does not usually get enough scores to produce an average until July. Therefore, there is usually no report. The new system should show each archer's 3 highest scores. And there should be room for Olympic Round performances, but web-users will have to scroll the screen in order to view this information.
ACTION: To form a committee to study the ranking system and report to Claude Malouin by November 10th, 2002. Suggested committee members are Hugh MacDonald, Shawn Riggs, Greg Durward, Allen Jenskey, Claude Malouin, Claude Rousseau, Marthe Cusson and Joan will chair.
ACTION: The committee has to advise Claude what information has to be captured within 3 weeks. Claude will write the format for ranking system rules for the programmer to follow.
ACTION: Joan McDonald will chair a second group of people to critique the proposal. They will be gold and red squad members who shoot the senior round. They will return their comments to Joan as chair.
Fin de la première jour
- Major Competitions to be added to the list in 2003: Indoor Worlds, Outdoor Worlds, Pan Am Games, pre-Olympic & pre-Paralympic tournaments, CQT in South America
The committee reviewed Pan Am situation. A meeting with COC is slated for Friday, October 25 in Ottawa. There is a scheduling conflict between the Pan Am Games and the pre-Olympic test event in Athens. FITA President Jim Easton is aware of this and the Pre-Olympic event date may be changed. Pre-Paralympic event is slated for Spain in September, but no other information is available currently. FCA needs the exact dates for the Continental Qualifying Tournament (CQT).
ACTION: Joan will check with Sr. Bazan to verify exact dates in Colombia.
- Annual HPC calendar of major events for 2003
These tournaments are listed for Excellence members for ranking purposes. Kathy presented the 2002 schedule for revision. The 2003 CQT was added and the Cottonboll was removed. Obvious additions were the Pan Ams, pre-Olympic event and Mexican Olympic festival. Other major events listed were World Ranking Tournaments and traditional listings: US Nationals, Carabobo, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Brazil.
ACTION: JM will complete this list designed for HPC major events.
Recommendation: That FCA propose to Sport Canada to fund athlete travel and team leaders to the World Championships, CQT and Carabobo in June as preparation for CQT and which is at the appropriate level of competition.
ACTION: Write and publish letter of intent without criteria for the Carabobo WRE to estimate the level of interest. Joan will contact the organising committee.
- Coaching Issues - misconduct/evaluation/minimum standards
Shawn confirmed his work to date. The committee agreed on minimum standards. All national team coaches will be required to file a report, contact the archers and coaches on the team to get information for preparation, have a minimum of Level 2 3M-NCCP as well as proven experience coaching commensurate with level of competition. HPC will create a policy for report publication on the web site and to Excellence members.
ACTION: Kathy will re-send the work Pascal did for Junior Worlds in France to Shawn and Joan.
- Team Leaders for 2003, Olympic Games & Paralympic Games 2004
Outdoor Worlds championships: one application for team coach has been received.
Joan would prefer to be the coach and continue look for a team leader with administrative skills. She is willing to train new people and will seek out people to help with administration. The team needs one support staff member who is fluently bilingual English/French.
ACTION: JM will contact people to assist in the team management.
Olympic Coach 2004: one application for team coach has been received.
Previously the HPC had assigned the Olympic coach and the worlds as the same person. Bilingualism is an issue. There could be a team manager instead of a team coach, but this is detrimental to FCA's elite coach development and could have possible future funding implications.
Pan Am Games coach 2003: one application for team coach has been received.
There continues to uncertainty about this team's existence, but the paperwork will need to be completed in case there is positive information from the upcoming COC meeting.
Continental Qualifying Tournament: This position has not been advertised, so a vote on the application must be tabled. The application received to date will be kept on file.
Paralympic Games: two applications had been received to date. Kathy Millar excused herself from the room.
- Chula Vista Training opportunities - update
There has been a problem with communication from USOC. There are internal problems particularly with USOC - COPANARCO communications and the funding to offset athlete expenses on-site.
ACTION: Kathy will contact Executive director of USOC through the NAA insisting that staff respond. FCA has only 3 weeks left. An answer is needed by Monday. HPC needs to re-think November into early December.
Failing this site, perhaps it is time to contact COC to utilise the facilities in Calgary and bring in an expert.
ACTION: If Kathy has no response by October 25th then HPC will drop Chula Vista in November and start working on Calgary. But still work on Chula Vista for March.
Team Leader for Chula Vista: one application was received to date.
ACTION: Arthur Nault will write to the applicant explaining the present situation and keep the application on file until a decision is made.
8. Doping control and Education
- CCES and drug testing 2002
Kathy reported that testing was done at Ontario Spring Classic, Canada Cup and Canadian Championships and there were no positive results.
- Future Plans for Education in Doping Control (see above)
- Present System Critique
Contrary to rumours circulating in some areas of the country, the uniform will remain the same for the duration of the 4-year contract. Blue squad members will be expected to pay for their uniforms and shooting shirts. Omitting the archer name on the shirts could reduce costs.
ACTION: 2003 meeting agenda item is to discuss the future design.
ACTION: Kathy and Joan will estimate Blue squad costs.
- "Property of " shirts
Kathy updated the committee on the legal reasons why Labatt's was not allowed to take up the option for the advertising opportunity. This restriction eliminates all other Canadian breweries. Suggestions for Canadian companies and possible personal connections were Bombardier, CN, CP, Nestlés, Johnson & Johnson, and Pfizer.
10. Annual awards
- FCA Annual awards nominations from committee
Junior athlete of the year Marie Pier Male athlete Hugh MacDonald
Female athlete Angela Cramer D M Lovo Gib Henderson
Volunteer of year Arthur Nault, Gib Henderson, Gary Gillies
Coach of the year none. Judge of the year none.
11. 2003 HPC budget - priorities to the Executive Committee
- 2003-2004 government funding and submissions
The HPC suggested that funding submissions to Sport Canada include athletes' and coaches' costs to the test event in Athens, a Grand Prix event and a training camp for March 2004. Athens and FITA have not published the criteria for the Test Event as yet. FCA will have its own criteria after spots become available. AWAD event funding will include the World Championships/Athens qualifier in Spain, 2003 FCA nationals and 2003 US nationals.
ACTION: the committee will review any other possible events to be funded up until January 15, 2003.
12. Level 4/5 programme
- IOC Olympic Solidarity Coach Seminar June 03-10, Toronto
Kathy outlined the 4 level 4/5 tasks that course conductors would be asked to undertake. Most of these tasks will involve long-range video filming of archers at the Spring Classic
ACTION: Kathy and Bruce Moquin will design a prior permission form for each athlete who pre-registers. Athletes will be asked to sign their agreement to be filmed and can have the option of a report of the analysis mailed to them after the event.
13. Other items
- pro shop network for discounted goods – update
Shawn reported that the idea has been abandoned since most athletes are receiving some assistance from pro shops already.
- 2003 Canada Cup bid
Bids will be advertised in November
- Athlete biographies for the FCA web site
ACTION: Kathy will approach Julien Hatherell asking him to co-ordinate obtaining athlete bios for current and future team members only.
- Ontario Science Centre outdoor range
The archery community in Toronto is at very great risk of losing this facility. As an informational item, other sports are forging links with municipalities so that both organisations take ownership of managing and caring for facilities. This may be the only way that archery can keep access to the park. Finding the correct contact person is important, and a link may be necessary with OAA and perhaps FCA. Current problems have grown out of safety issues. This same situation has caused Parc Pierre Bédard to stop hosting FITA Star tournaments in Montréal.
- Schedule A discussion – COC Olympic qualifying criteria
Joan has used more recent data and combined it with what COC has produced since some of those archers listed by COC were not even involved now. The volunteers are not pleased to have neither selection criteria co-ordinator nor athlete rep present. FCA will schedule a meeting with COC to discuss their findings since they have gone back to 1998.
From the COC information provided it was observed that the average world ranking was 37th for all those male archers who competed and finished 12th in the top in Sydney. For women, there is even less to go on because most Korean women did not have ranking and for the other 7 the average was 41st ranking. A Math expert is important for the face-to-face meeting with COC. The HPC agreed that no retro-active qualifying scores should be used. Team criteria at worlds on the line could be an option.
ACTION: Kathy will report HPC's displeasure to COC regarding the hasty meeting date for Pan Am Games criteria and quota. She will ask for a postponement of the Schedule A meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 14:20 on October 20, 2002.
Calendar Decisions From Last Meeting
1. 2003 Continental Qualifying Tournament to the 2004 Olympic Games on September 21-29 in Colombia.
Team criteria will be set later.
2. 2004 World Field Championships, August 9-15, Plitvica Laces CRO
Team criteria will be set if necessary.
3. 2006 World Field Championships, August 20-25, Gothenburg, SWE
Team criteria will be set if
Team Captain’s Report Junior World Archery Championship
Overall, transportation of team members was not a problem.
Bus service from the airport in Prague was well organized and no major problems were encountered. Unfortunately, some of the team members had to catch a very early ride back to Prague from Nymburk to catch an 8:00 am flight.
We did experience some problems with a rental car company, as the car that was reserved via the Internet (with a confirmation #) was not available upon arrival. However the young clerk was accommodating and found another vehicle of the size requested at another rental agency for the same rate.
The airport was modern and the security was such that one would find in a major Canadian airport. Many of the officials and the airline employees spoke English.
I tried to confirm the accommodations at the Sport Centre before the team members staying there arrived. I had some documentation regarding the # of rooms requested and the size. However, the head of the organising committee insisted that they had only higher priced rooms and that was what we would have to take. I stated that Kathy had received confirmation that the rooms requested were made available for the team and at the rate requested. I insisted that since we had confirmation of the rate and a record of payment, we should get the rooms promised. The organising committee insisted they had no such paper work and without the transfer information showing the payments sent, they could not help us. (Perhaps for future events, a copy of any payments for accommodations should be provided to the team leader as well) Upon Joan McDonald’s arrival and with her paperwork in hand, we were able to show that what we had stated was true. Mysteriously, the organising committee found the paperwork that was sent and the whole issue was finally straightened out to our satisfaction.
The accommodations and the food at the Sport Centre in Nymburk were adequate. There were some concerns about late night noise in the residence and this was brought to the attention of the organising committee the following morning. They assured us that there would be a hallway patrol to ensure a quiet time after 10:00 p.m. The noise was not an issue after this.
The other part of the team stayed in a small town about 10 minutes away from the Centre. The hotel was excellent and the meals splendid (and very reasonable, we found the meals to be half the price they would be in Canada).
We all missed the air-conditioned rooms; all that was available was the open window, with hopes of it cooling down at night.
We were allocated one 1.5 litre bottle of water per team member per day that was made available at the centre for pickup throughout the day.
Field and Practice Range:
The fields were in excellent condition; the grass was well-groomed and very green, the field smooth and easy to walk on. The target butts were made from buffalo board, with vertical styrofoam blocks on the outside edges of the target (in the white and black zones of the target).
We found it strange that the practice range was not under any supervision. Archers were at the butts pulling arrows with other archer at the line shooting at butts one or two over. Finally, an organising committee member was out on the day before official practice to oversee the shooting for safety.
We held a team meeting before the start of the qualification round and the elimination round. The team was fortunate to have Joan McDonald’s vast experience and knowledge to tap in to along with Denis Beaudet’s and Christiane Murphy’s knowledge of the FITA rules. Many items were discussed in preparation of the event, easing any concerns that the young archers had.
The larger number of archers posed a concern for the archers, especially for the elimination matches. The Director of Shooting did not have control on who was in the competitor’s area during the shooting. Announcements were made that only competitors, coaches and archers were allowed in the area, but this was not policed. Many times parents and competitors not competing at the field were wandering through the area. This could have created a problem with equipment failure if the archer had to push their way through to obtain the backup bow.
I was able to bring a full medical kit to the event, borrowed from Sport Manitoba. We were fortunate that we did not have to open it for any reason.
Team member support was high. Archers who were not shooting were present to support other team members. All members shared equipment if necessary and were willing to help in any way they could.
The presentation of the gift from the team was done at the banquet. The team captain was called up to receive the official results and presented with a CD that contained the results in electronic format and many photos that were taken during the event.
I would like to mention and echo a comment from a fellow team member, Julian Hatherell.
“The exposure to a variety of disciplined national archery programs was most educational. It seemed that the coaching approaches of Denis and Joan would rank amongst "best in class" in any country (based on my very limited observations). It's a pity we do not have the mechanism to leverage those skills across the whole country”
It was a great opportunity for myself to have the FCA allow me to participate with the athletes as team captain. I thank the FCA for allowing me to do so.
Team Leader / Coach Report
Championship of the Americas Pan Am Games Qualifier
El Salvador, August 30 – September 8, 2002
Team Leader-Coach – Joan McDonald
Team Members: Lillian Meehan – Ladies Compound
Hugh MacDonald – Men Recurve
Jean Pascal (JP) St. Arnaud – Men Recurve
The standard team selection process was used with athletes notified by email, but responses on whether or not people would go were a little slow coming in. A spreadsheet showing the scores and averages for this team was sent to Al Wills for posting on the web site, but was never posted. After I had heard from nearly everyone, I learned that there would be some money available for team members, which meant that I had to go back to everyone to see if they wanted to participate. In the end it did not change the make-up of the team.
Once we knew that there was some money from Sport Canada, the FCA paid for my, and JP’s, ticket. Hugh and Lillian had already purchased theirs. Kathy was able to give Hugh and Lillian and advance towards their expenses while making it pretty clear to us about the requirements for receipts!!
Hugh and Lillian arranged their own travel while mine and JP’s was done through Algonquin Travel. I did not get good response from Laurie Hunt at Algonquin but when Cindy Foley took over things progressed much faster. We had no problems during the actual trip itself.
I arranged this through the organising committee. We had a surprise at the last minute when we discovered we could not pay for it with credit cards and that made us a little nervous about what the quality would be, but it was excellent. We stayed in the small hotel that is part of the new sport centre and the rooms and meals were excellent and within a 100 meters of the range.
I would recommend that teams should stay in sport centre accommodation whenever possible as it gives them the freedom to practice when they want to, without the worry about transportation and the impact it has on the rest of the team if they want to stay longer or leave earlier. It sure makes the team leader’s job easier! As well, the team members have an opportunity to talk and make friends with archers from other countries.
The tournament was well run with excellent facilities. The amount of rain made field conditions very poor and contributed to the tournament being very, very slow. The problems were managed and solved, although it always took time and every day was incredibly slow. It was sometimes difficult to make sure we understood instructions, although the organisers and the judges worked hard to make sure we had understood. In places the inexperience of the organising committee showed through, but overall, it was well done.
The tournament was more complicated because it was also the Pan Am Games qualifier. This meant that all juniors and the cadet women should be in the finals in order to earn Pan Am places. Initially it was decided that they could all be in the finals. However, Canada made an unofficial protest because that meant that some countries would have as many as 10 people in the finals - definitely tipping the scales. After discussion in one of the many team captains meetings, it was decided that each country could have 4 people in the finals and those 4 could be seniors, juniors or cadet women and each country would decide who those 4 archers should be. It was further decided that those juniors and cadets should also eligible for the junior and cadet Championship of the Americas, which complicated the scheduling of the finals.
This was an excellent team that worked well together and enjoyed themselves. I was initially concerned about JP and Hugh being together as they are so different, but they got along very well. They were all very co-operative and helpful both to me and to each other.
The archers decided at our first team meeting not to do any real sight seeing during the tournament because it would take their focus away from the event – they felt strongly that their primary goal was the competition and if there was time after they were finished to sight see that would be great.
Both Lillian and Hugh shot below average at their first distance but then settled in and shot close to their averages for the rest of the FITA. Lillian and Hugh were well prepared with defined processes and mental plans. JP started out fairly well but he did not have a defined mental process but had an open mind and was willing to try. We worked on one during 50m and it seemed to help at 30m and in match play.
Lillian did the best in match play winning two matches and only loosing in an extremely close match. Hugh’s first match was excellent, but his technique deserted him for the second match. JP lost his first match keeping pace in the first two ends but his last end wasn’t as good. There is no question that they need more practice in meaningful competitions with match play.
Hugh – tournament was fun. Different from others because it was so slow, but this seems to be common in South America. He expressed disappointment with “one big tournament a year – get all excited and then crash”. The tournament was relaxed with lots of the freedom. He felt that everyone took the tournament seriously, the accommodation was good and it was excellent to be so close to the competition field. The team worked well together and overall it was pretty good.
Lillian – She found the team very relaxed and totally enjoyed the trip. She found everyone relaxed off the field, but well focused on the field. The accommodation was good. Everyone worked well together and she really appreciated Hugh’s help with her bow. She had a bad start and had to work hard to shoot good arrows. She found that the slowness of the tournament made this more difficult. She has considerable difficulty getting time off work to compete including getting Saturdays off to shoot in FITA’s. A letter from the FCA might help. Joan agreed to draft a letter. She feels that we need more practice at meaningful tournaments, which means we need more money. She asked if the salary paid to athletes by employers when they are away at competition can be considered a donation to the FCA so the employer gets a tax receipt.
JP – thought the team was small but great and the location was also great. He felt it was a pretty experienced team and that they adapted well. JP arrived the day before official practice and felt he should have been there a day or two earlier. (Hugh, Lillian and I arrived on Aug. 30th). He was sad that he didn’t shoot his match well – but it was better than the FITA. He felt the World Championship team should have a training camp – perhaps immediately after the Spring Classic.
In a general discussion of team selection criteria, they all agreed that the number of scores for the World team next year should be 3 rather than 4 – that is a maximum of 2 from 2002 and 1 from 2003 and one of them must be a major event.
They also made the suggestion that any funding for teams should go to archers who meet the team selection criteria, but that teams to tournaments in the Americas (such as Championships of the Americas) should be opened up to those who don’t meet those criteria and who pay their own way, to give them experience and to expose them to the level of shooting outside Canada.
This team was a delight – one of the best I have worked with. Their focus on the job was excellent. We simply had no problems.
They all need experience at competition and match play. For all of them the only other major competition they had this summer was the Canadian Championships and with the weather this year, it was not a good competition experience. Hugh had one major event (California Cup) in May.
There is no question that to be competitive archers must practice competition. Local FITA tournaments are not in this category – archers must have meaningful competition with good match play. We have many good archers in Canada – all with excellent technique. But without being able to send them to a minimum of 3 or 4 quality tournaments with match play each year, they are missing a major portion of their training.
Funding for the FCA through Sport Canada and/or the Canadian Olympic Committee is dependent on recurve archers doing well at international events. We’d prefer that these groups look at compound results too, but they are only interested in results from the Olympic discipline. To give the Olympic archers the practice at international competition they need, we need to fund them – at least partially, to these events.
The only answer from the FCA Executive is “we don’t have the money”. If the FCA wants funding then they must have results from the recurve archers. Therefore, there must be a system in place to try and raise money to fund archers to quality events. How many times have archers gone to companies to request funding only to be told that the company doesn’t fund individuals – just teams? The FCA controls the teams – they are the ones who should be trying to sell them. The next answer is that “we don’t have a volunteer to do this”. If we don’t, then we should get one. If it’s not in the skill set of current members of the FCA, then find a volunteer with the required skill set that isn’t a member of the FCA. Archery is an Olympic sport. This has tremendous cachet amongst the general public. This volunteer can learn about archery – that’s easy. Why not try putting an ad in the papers “Wanted – Olympic Gold Medals” and ask for a marketing volunteer whose specific job is to sell the “Olympic” team. If no one responds, the cost is minimal – but if they do the potential gains are enormous.
Ranking and Team Selection Co-ordinator Report 2002
Two teams were selected and named in 2002 – The Junior and Cadet World Championship and The Championship of the Americas.
All those who were eligible were contacted and asked if they wanted to attend the tournament. Ryan Flannigan initially returned his sheet indicating he would go. Both Bob Tataryn and I spent considerable time trying to get commitment for travel from the Flannigans and in the end he did not attend. The team consisted of:
Marie-Pier Beaudet – Cadet Recurve Female
Crispin Duenas – Cadet Recurve Male
Avril Hatherell – Junior Compound Female
Kevin Tataryn – Junior Compound Male
All those who were eligible were contacted and asked if they wanted to go to the tournament. Only 3 people were able to make this team.
Hugh MacDonald – Senior men recurve
Jean-Pascal St. Arnaud – Senior men recurve
Lillian Meehan – Senior ladies recurve.
There was some funding available and I re-canvassed the archers when I found out about it. But it was not enough to entice more to attend. In fact, few felt the tournament was important and probably only Angela Cramer and Anna Mozhar would have gone if there had been more funding available.
The team selection list was submitted to the FCA web site, but was not posted.
Team selection for this event is underway. The preliminary list will be posted on the FCA web site in the next week or two.
There have been the usual problems with the ranking list stemming from the transfer of the list to Claude and some of the foibles in the database. Claude plans to rewrite the database.
Most of the difficulties have occurred because of the integration of cadet rankings into the system. This has created some issues that were eventually sorted out. The list should be on the web site shortly.
The method by which we rank archers has become increasingly complicated, especially since the inclusion of the cadets. I think it is time to re-think how we rank archers in Canada from the bottom up and would propose that we form a small committee of people to accomplish this task. It won’t be easy.
Many organizations outside the FCA require a list of people on the FCA “National” team. This was started about 3 years ago and progressed without sufficient thought as to the consequences of being named to this team – especially for juniors and cadets who shoot scores equal to or better than seniors. This also needs to be rethought.
There can be no question that Canadian archers have suffered in international competition because they are not able to practice competition – not the local stuff in the provinces, I mean real international competition. The only reason this doesn’t happen more often is money. For some reason the Board does not understand that their funding base is determined by the success of recurve shooters in international competition and that archers cannot be successful internationally by competing once every couple of years. There does not seem to be any interest in developing a marketing/fund raising scheme to sell the only real commodity that the FCA has to sell – our potential Olympic team.
Therefore, I would propose that the HPC take this task. I would propose to add a position to the committee for fund raising. Jacqui Jenskey did some work on her own to try to raise funds for the Championship of the Americas team, so she might be a candidate. I would further propose that this person be authorised to advertise for a volunteer with marketing experience to do this job. This person does not have to be an archer. I suggest that ads be placed in local papers perhaps headed OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS WANTED! There are people out there who would love to be involved with helping a potential Olympic team.
If we keep doing everything the same – it is insane to expect different results!
Rapport du co-ordinateur pour les Archers avec handicap
Nous pouvons dire une assez bonne saison pour nos deux archers en fauteuil roulant. Alec et Norbert ont participé en plus de plusieurs compétitions à différents endroits en Ontario et au Québec, à une compétition à Nymburk en République Tchèque, au US Open ainsi qu'ils ont participé au Championnat Canadien.
Pour ce qui est de Norbert ce fut une meilleur saison que l'an passé puisqu'il est revenu avec une moyenne de 1157 pour se qualifier dans l'équipe d'Or de la FCA.
Le principal projet pour l'équipe l'an prochain serait la participation au championnat du monde pour qu'il puisse se qualifier pour les prochasins Jeux Paralympique. Le championnat se tiendra soit du 26 Juillet au 6 Août à Nymburk ou plus probablement du 5 au 15 septembre en Espagne.
Pour ce qui est de mon implication au niveau de l'équipe, je suis toujours des plus intéressé a continué mon travail comme je l'ai fait dans le passé.
Comme ja'I accepté un nouveau poste au niveau mondial en plus de la vice-présidence SAEC pour IPC, je serai délégué tehnique pour les Jeux Paralympique d'Athènes.
Pour cette raison il ne me sera pas possible d'agir comment entraîneur pour l'équipe Canadien, mais d'ici là je suis intéressé a continué à travaillé à la préparation de l'équipe, et je suis certain qu'il me sera facile de pouvoir continué a travaillé sur place avec les archers présents aux Jeux.
Athlete’s Services Report – 2002
Eleven dozen arrows were obtained from Easton and distributed to the top three archers in men’s Olympic, ladies Olympic, and men’s compound divisions, one dozen to ladies compound division, plus one dozen to each of the two disabled archers.
Three bows were ordered from Win – Win, to have been distributed to the appropriate archers, but the bows have not arrived as yet. Al Wills has been trying to contact Win-Win, but hasn’t been able to get any response from them as yet.
Various small items of equipment were distributed to those archers who requested them from advertisements in info-excellence.
It is hoped that when Easton’s budget comes down next month, that the FCA will be able to get the same number of arrows as last year.
It is also hoped that Win – Win will be willing to supply another three bows to the Equipment Program, as well as supplying the three bows that were promised for this year.
Gary R. Gillies
Athlete Town Hall Meeting
Delisle SK, August 15, 2002
FCA Athlete Representative called this meeting to allow Excellence 2004 members and other FCA shooters to voice their concerns over topics pertinent to all archers. Shawn Riggs chaired the discussion on five topics.
Format of National Championships
A variety of suggestions were up for discussion. There was general agreement that the total number of days needed to be reduced. If archers wanted to shoot both championships and the FCA Open, it required more than one week's vacation. There was conflicting information regarding the new format's effect on judges and the organising committee. There were no committee representatives present at this meeting.
There was general agreement to keep field archery in the programme. The majority agreed that Opening Ceremonies and practices should be combined in the format with competition rounds, perhaps making field 1 1/2 days instead of 2.
Many archers preferred 2 FITA's over 2 days with a single FITA ranking such as the format used at this year's Canada Cup.
Survey on FCA web site showed that most people do not like it either because of age or equipment. Most provinces do not use inner ten for their championships.
Some archers present felt that FCA has championships to decide who the best archers are. Levelling the field by making the target larger does not show who the best archer is. There is a huge separation in skill level between inner and outer ten. Internationally it is accepted that the inner ten is a better way to choose a national championship.
Some archers felt that the provinces should keep the outer 10 and that FCA should remain international, not developmental. FCA rules should stay with FITA rules. These are the rules and Canadians play by the rules. Current record is 28X so perfect score has not been achieved.
Other archers were interested in developmental archers. An archer who is pretty good does not get the reward for getting closer to the middle. The calibre of archer varies and for the lower ability archers it is discouraging. How do you progress? One suggestion was to make the whole 9 area the 10 for recurve. Others wished to use the X. The CFAA round (used in one major Ontario tournament) shows that too many ties are possible when 40 archers have the same score. Another round was suggested: 11 for x’s and round is 330. Rifle has gone to that system. An Alternative solution is to develop this round as a Canadian round.
To conclude the discussion, Shawn Riggs called for a vote:
People in favour of a bigger 10 for compounds Indoors 10
Those Opposed 20
Qualifying for world championships - criteria for 2003
In the past there was sufficient time to use 4 scores with as many as 2 from previous season. One of 4 has to be a major event for Gold Squad. But Worlds are in July. FITA is frustrated with countries registering late for events and is imposing penalties. If the usual 6-week registration date is utilized, July 10-17 means the FITA deadline date could be as early as the end of May. It was pointed out that any deadlines later than 6 weeks before the event meant last minute travel arrangements costing archers a lot more money. That is not the problem this time
· Allowing an archer up to a year and a half to put in scores
· Moving major Canadian events to earlier dates
· Reduce the number of scores required
- The trials format wipes away the scores that people have tried to shoot this year.
- Early weather is poor. It may not be possible to move tournament dates for Canada Cup and OSC before deadline. In Victoria, it is possible to shoot and train earlier in the year. Those provincial archers have an advantage.
How many scores can you use from 2002? It was agreed that some archers have spent large sums of money already attempting to shoot two top scores. Therefore, 2 scores should stay. Do you need only 1 score from next year? Discussion continued on this point for 2003.
- There was a suggestion that the criteria should be a minimum score instead of an average. The system should not penalize people who are shooting high scores in the world championship year. Does this make it fair for each equipment division?
Conclusion: Request 3 scores and 1 would have to come from 2003.
Leave criteria as-is.
Provincial Athlete Reps
Shawn has not been able to build the provincial athlete network. He usually receives only two responses from e-mail surveys. He felt that some of this problem arose from the fact that in some provinces the athlete rep is appointed instead of elected by peers.
Volunteers were asked to come forward from each of the regions. These people would act in conjunction with the provincial reps to increase communication.
Western Angela Cramer Roger Murray Await Manitoba elections
Central Marthe Cusson Eastern Phil Parlee
Equipment programme more transparent
There was insufficient time to discuss the Excellence Equipment Programme. There has been general discontent with it. Shawn assured the gathering that it would become more transparent.
Shawn thanked everyone for their input and hoped that this type of meeting would be possible at future national championships. Adjourned at 19:00.
Réunion des Athlètes Hotel de Ville Délisle SK, 15 Août, 2002
Traduit par Laurier Cusson
Le représentant des athlètes de la FCA proposa cette réunion afin que les membres de l’Excellence 2004 et autres tireurs puissent se prononcer sur des sujets pertinents aux archers. Shawn Riggs présidait les discussions sur cinq sujets différents.
Format du Championnat Canadien
Plusieurs suggestions furent discutées. Il y avait consensus général que le nombre de jours de compétition devait être réduit. Les archers désirant tirer le Championnat ainsi que le tournoi Invitation FCA doivent profiter de plus d’une semaine de vacances. Des informations contradictoires furent émises concernant l’effet qu’apporterait le nouveau format pour les juges et le Comité Organisateur. Aucun représentant du comité n’était présent. Il y a cependant consensus général que la section parcours et 3D soit retenu au programme. La majorité sont d’accord que les cérémonies d’ouverture et pratique officielle soit combinés à des rondes de compétitions. La section parcours serait ainsi de une journée et demie au lieu de deux jours.
Plusieurs archers préfèrent tirer 2 FITA’s en deux jours (mais une seule comptera pour la classification). Format utilisé lors de l’épreuve Coupe Canada cette année.
Une étude sur le site Internet de la FCA démontre que la majorité ne sont pas en faveur pour raisons telles que l’âge ou équipement et que la plupart des provinces ne l’utilisent pas pour leurs Championnats.
Plusieurs archers présents croient que les championnats de la FCA doivent décider qui sont le meilleurs(es) archers. Uniformiser la compétition en agrandissant la valeur des cibles ne démontre pas cela. Atteindre le petit dix demande plus de précision que le gros dix. Au niveau international, on accepte que le petit dix soit la valeur qui déterminera du champion national.
Certains archers croient aussi que les provinces maintiennent le gros dix et que la FCA maintienne le niveau international et non niveau développement. La FCA devrait suivre les règlements de la FITA. Ce sont les règlements et les Canadiens observent les règlements. Le record actuel est de 28X. La perfection n’est pas encore atteinte.
Certains archers sont aussi en faveur du développement du tir à l’arc. Un bon archer n’est pas plus récompensé pour être proche du centre. Le calibre des archers varie et pour l’archer moyen, ceci est décourageant. Comment pouvons-nous progresser? Une suggestion est d’utiliser la zone du 9 valant 10 pour les arcs recourbés. D’autres veulent utiliser le X. La ronde CFAA (utilisée lors d’un tournoi majeur en Ontario) démontre que cette formule crée trop d’égalités lorsque 40 archers tirent le même pointage. Autre suggestion: valeur de 11 pour les X avec total de 330. Le tir à la carabine utilise ce système. Autre alternative est d’utiliser ce système et d’en faire une Ronde Canadienne.
Pour mettre fin à la discussion, Shawn Riggs demande le vote:
En faveur du gros dix pour arcs à poulie à l’intérieur : 10 Opposés : 20
Qualification pour Championnat Mondial- Critères pour 2003
Dans le passé, il suffisait d’avoir 4 pointages incluant 2 de la saison précédente. Pour être membre de l’Équipe Or, un devait provenir d’un événement majeur. Mais le Mondial se tient en Juillet. FITA en a marre des inscriptions tardives et impose maintenant des amendes. Le Championnat se tenant du 10-17 Juillet, si le délai d’inscription de six semaines est respecté, la date limite serait alors le début de mai.
Il est à noter que toute inscription dépassant la date limite amène aussi des préparatifs de transport plus onéreux pour les archers. Cette fois, ceci n’est pas un problème.
· 18 mois pour soumettre ses pointages
· Essais nationaux
· Avancer les événements majeurs Canadien
· Diminuer le nombre de pointage requis
- Le format des essais annule les pointages tirés durant l’année
- Le climat de printemps étant défavorable, il serait difficile d’avancer les dates des tournois coupe Canada ou OSC. En C.B, il est possible de pratiquer ou tirer tôt. Ces archers provinciaux auraient un avantage
Combien de pointage de l’an 2002 sont-ils acceptables? Plusieurs archers ont dépensé beaucoup d’argent afin d’obtenir des deux pointages supérieurs. Donc, ces 2 pointages devraient rester. Un seul pointage de l’an dernier est-il suffisant? Pour l’an 2003, la discussion se poursuit.
Une autre suggestion: que les critères soit basés sur un pointage minimum au lieu de la moyenne. Le système ne doit pas pénaliser les bons tireurs pendant l’année d’un championnat mondial. Ceci est-il équitable pour toutes les catégories?
Conclusion : Trois pointages dont un provenant de 2003
Laisser les critères tels qu’ils le sont
Shawn fut incapable d’établir un réseau de représentants provinciaux. Il ne reçoit que quelques réponses(2) lors d’études électroniques. Selon lui, le problème provient du fait que dans certaines provinces, le représentant des athlètes est appointé au lieu d’être élu par ses confrères archers. Des volontaires furent demandés pour chaque région. Ceux-ci(celles-ci) viendront se joindre aux représentants provinciaux afin d’accroître la communication.
Ouest: Angéla Cramer Roger Murray En attente de l’élection au Manitoba
Centre: Marthe Cusson Est: Phil Parlee
Il ne restait plus suffisamment de temps pour discuter du Programme d’Équipement de l’Excellence. Toutefois, un mécontentement général semble exister. Shawn assure que sachant ceci, une meilleure transparence sera apportée.
Shawn remercia tous ceux présents pour leur idées et espère que ce genre de réunion sera encore possible lors des futurs championnats nationaux. La réunion se termina à 19 :00 hres.
Uniform Programme Co-ordinator and Liaison for InfoExcellence
As the liaison to our manufacturer, I had to co-ordinate the aftermath for the uniforms ordered for the senior world championship. There were a few mistakes that Avalanche fixed free-of-charge either for FCA or the athletes, even though the mistake was on the athlete's part, and the other one was theirs. However, they made two new uniforms.
I also had to work closely with Avalanche on the uniforms for the Junior and Cadet World Championship that was held this summer. There were also some problems arising from some members of the team regarding cost, which had to be resolved by FCA. As for the Championship of the Americas, there was only one uniform request. This went very smoothly.
The relationship with Avalanche is very good. Miss Valerie Tremblay is always very open-minded and willing to help. The orders are getting smaller, consequently having an impact on their sponsorship. However, I managed to work something out with them, which gave us the same amount of sponsoring we had previously.
The liaison for the InfoExcellence bulletin is a little difficult because there is little participation on the part of almost everyone involved. Two news bulletins came out with a lot of hard work, if I might say. Articles and documents or any information pertinent should be going out to the Editor as soon as it is known which articles will be published. So the Editor will include it in the bulletin as it comes in. In my opinion there should be more news going out to the archers.
Marthe (Marty) Cusson
Since being asked to review the doping control procedures on behalf of the HPC, and to provide some assistance in advising both athletes and coaches on the various procedures, the following has been completed:
1. Contact was made with Nancy Littke, member of the FITA Medical Committee. I submitted several questions to Nancy for clarification, and after consulting with the FITA Medical Committee during a trip to Switzerland, she provided answers to those inquiries.
Note: during my discussions with Nancy, I asked and was given approval for our athletes to submit the CCES Declaration form to FITA for the two substances the form is designed for. In addition, Nancy has indicated that because this form is superior to the FITA form in many ways, the FITA Medical Committee has agreed to review and possibly adopt this form with some changes, for declaring additional substances to FITA. These two items are major steps forward in reducing the paperwork requirements for our athletes and coaches, and will hopefully help reduce the potential cost for having physicians fill out these forms.
2. Based on the above and my own research, a draft guide for submitting declarations to the various authorities was developed. This draft will be submitted to the HPC for review and comment.
3. Nancy Littke has offered to review the documentation that I prepare for distribution to athletes and coaches to ensure accuracy with respect to the FITA requirements. I intend to make contact with someone at the CCES and ask if they can provide the same review with respect to their requirements.
4. At the request of the HPC, I reviewed the first draft of the WADA World Anti-Doping Code, and submitted comments. At this time revision 2 of the Code has been published, and I will be reviewing this shortly.
5. I intend to complete the guide for making declarations in the near future, and if all parties approve, this can be distributed to all Excellence members and the appropriate coaches.
Further items for consideration:
1/ The creation of the above guide has been hampered by the quickly changing landscape of requirements from various organisations. The introduction of the WADA Code, the move by FITA to use the IOC Listings, and eventually the WADA listings, has made it difficult to understand what the requirements really are. I expect these major changes to continue for the time being until WADA has firmly established itself as the primary organisation for these items.
2/ I will need input from the HPC regarding additional education efforts the committee would like me to pursue. For instance, is there a need to educate people regarding substances that they should avoid, or in the mechanics of how samples are collected and analysed? This should be a topic for discussion in the near future.
3/ Pending finalisation of the WADA Code, the FCA will have to decide what role it wants to play in doping control in archery. For instance, should declaration forms be submitted to the FCA, or other notifications in place of declaration forms? Should this information be made available to team coaches or team leaders? There may be other issues arising out of the WADA code, such as athlete whereabouts information, that we may be forced to handle, or may negotiate with the CCES to administer.
In summary, I would like to thank the HPC for giving me this opportunity to assist our athletes and coaches. Please feel free to contact me with your comments and suggestions.
Executive Director's Annual Report to HPC 2002
High Performance Committee activities have increased this year due participation in three international events. As well, the negotiations and lack of communication with Chula Vista USOC centre has been time-consuming. And, preliminary COC negotiations regarding qualification criteria for 2003 and 2004 meant devoting a greater percentage of my time with High Performance. As such, I have had to schedule HP tasks weekly in anticipation of future events and committee member needs. Sport Canada demands have accelerated due to the financial policy changes initiated by both the government and COC. FCA is fortunate to work with two very conscientious representatives, Caroline Assalian (COC) and Gwen Prillo (Sport Canada), who have been helpful and communicative.
Lobbying efforts in the past have paid significant dividends to FCA this year in the form of increased HP government assistance for able-bodied archers and coaches. These efforts must continue to ensure that archery remains front-and-center during this time of change. The current funding structure 2002-2003 will be repeated in future years so long as FCA maintains its current standards of athlete-centeredness, coach education and training, and volunteer development. Greater government and COC assistance will become available when senior, able-bodied recurve archers provide results at the international level.
Lobbying efforts will not have direct impact on future COC contributions, as that organisation pushes forward with podium-level only assistance. FCA must regain the financial contribution lost as a result of this policy change (approximately $20,000 per annum during this quadrennial) and realise financial self-sufficiency. And, I would caution volunteers that government funding has been withdrawn in the past and there is no guarantee of long-term support. The new Sport Policy died in the Senate at the close of the spring session and it must be re-introduced and pass 3 readings in the Senate in order to become law. After that, there should be some protection against arbitrary political decisions whether or not to fund NSO's annually.
With regard to finances, this is the first year that FCA budgets and forecasts have included Sport Canada dollars since 1996. Please review the submitted financial statements. They reflect restricted funds versus FCA-generated funds. FAFAD projects are now entitled AWAD for "Athletes With A Disability". Since the government fiscal year and FCA's fiscal year ends do not match, some of the reporting will not be as clear. Fiscal integrity continues to be important for each project. If the committee needs financial reports in another format, or requires different types of information, I would be happy to amend the submission to meet those requests.
My main concern remains the development and promotion of HPC products to sell to all FCA members, not just 89 Excellence members. Increased revenue through product sales is essential for the future of HPC and its programmes. Attempts to introduce new products and increase general membership awareness have not been totally disappointing, but rather slow instead. This task has been made more difficult with the absence of FCA's VP Administration and Marketing to develop and promote products. I believe sales will improve as product knowledge increases. I was not successful in obtaining Labatt sponsorship for the "Property of" shirts and have not had the time to pursue other avenues. It appears that I will be attending the AMO Show in 2003 and look for committee guidance and possible new contacts before I leave.
Excellence 2004 continues to require specialised bookkeeping, but the system in place works well now. Athlete compliance with provincial membership requirements has improved. There has been a flurry of activity in recent weeks in anticipation of the New York World Championships in 2003. Totals are now 64% of Excellence membership by the end of the Excellence 2000 programme. The difference though is the increased number of active athletes being monitored as compared with the 140 in 2000. I do not anticipate further dramatic growth without the aggressive promotion of the programme and its benefits. This can only be achieved through regular publications and up-to-date information on FCA's web site, to members and to clubs. The number of archers able to compete for Canada may increase due to government subsidisation of international teams. This in turn may attract more archers to the Excellence programme. However, it is obvious that recent successes by senior compound and junior/cadet team members has had minimal impact on membership increases, where directly to the Excellence programme or to FCA general membership figures.
In assessing the HPC's structure and its position within the FCA, there was a need to expand the committee. Since last year's meeting, HPC has grown to include two more active members. Allen Jenskey is dedicated to athlete/coach education in Doping Control issues and procedures, and Claude Malouin became the Score Ranking Co-ordinator. However, the committee was not successful in luring a qualified volunteer into the new position of HP Coaching Co-ordinator. This means that a stronger link has not been forged between this committee and the national coaching certification system administered through the FCA Coaching Committee. The HP Committee has strong links with athletes, but not with high performance coaches. Filling this position should be a committee priority.
Domestic issues this year took up a disproportional amount of HPC time and energy. I would urge committee members to resolve these issues, set generic policies in place and issue reprimands or warnings when the need arises. Selection criteria for coaches and archers should be clear and concise. The definition of national training squad versus national team members should be formalised and published. Red squad should be required to have a major event in the ranking average in order to simplify the ranking process. Ranking and team selection criteria should be the same, whether that is 3 or 4 scores, and it should be consistent from year to year. HPC should be prepared to implement directives from the upcoming Presidents' Conference with regard to long-term planning and goal setting.
I continue to look for ways to strengthen FCA's position to benefit all archers. The IOC Olympic Solidarity Coach seminar slated for June 2003 in Toronto is an opportunity to improve coach certification and skill development for the future, both at the elite and developmental levels. I hope that committee members will assist the Coaching Committee in its attempts to host a high-quality international event.
President’s Report High Performance Meeting 2002
I wanted to report to your meeting to underline the importance of HPC to FCA. While we have an enormous commitment to domestic archery, which takes an inordinate amount of our resources, we are still committed to Excellence. Your executive committee devotes much more of the discretionary funding to High Performance than to any other part of archery in Canada despite the shrinking numbers. This is because we recognise the need to assist archers competing internationally and to increase our top-ranking finishes at these events. While the benefits to FCA and archery in Canada would be significant should we see success internationally, the commitment we have to all archery must be understood. There are a few items you should be aware of.
A very few people in FCA have succeeded in bringing a lot of equipment to Canada for Canadian Archers. This program is being abused. I don’t think it is being abused that much, at least I hope not, but nonetheless it is. I have received complaints and personally witnessed other abuses. There are rumours of arrows being sold, bows being ordered and never used, bows being ordered and lent to others etc. etc. You must deal with this situation. We cannot ask volunteers to keep asking for equipment that isn’t being used to further high performance archery.
I regret to inform you that we have not had a lot of success with this program. I assure you it is not from lack of trying! We simply cannot afford the amount of time the ED is spending chasing various agencies around concerning this project. I have twice waded through the bureaucracy of COPANARCO to find the people in charge of its use only to find we have again reached a blind alley!! I don’t know what to do from here. I am still attempting to find the correct contacts, but am having little success. We have even been talking to James Easton! This project is a high priority, but I am not sure that I can allow the ED to spend much more time on it than she is now.
I have forwarded some documentation from COC concerning the Excellence Support Program and the requirement for it. We will soon be required to report back to them with our plans for Athens and beyond. This report has to be professionally done and well researched; again, we only have one ED! I will be attending their meeting in November (at their expense) and will do my best to ensure we don’t slip any further. I will also attempt to get as much information on the requirements of this report as possible. Both Kathy and I have a good working relationship with Mark Lowry, the Chair of this committee, so I it is my hope that it will be favourable to us. Be aware however that these programs are very results based, which may negate any amount of creative writing!
The Canadian Championships continues to be FCA’s banner event. We are able to bring many archers together from across Canada to share the archery spirit and see other aspects of archery. More and more elite Canadian Archers are not attending. I ask you to work with us to promote this event with those archers. It is getting harder and harder to explain to the ‘masses’ where all that FCA money and support is going when they don’t get to see these archers. I would encourage you to make the Canadian more of a ‘required’ or ‘major’ event. Also on this thread, I would ask you to encourage these same athletes to make an effort to be more tolerant of the archers/coaches and judges who are at these tournaments. Encourage them to be on their best behaviour and to help us promote them as those that need our support. I know this is very motherhood, but it has to be said!
I am sorry if this report sounds unduly negative, but I wanted to outline my concerns to you. Please be assured that High Performance is important to FCA and important to me. We are there to support you, but also have many other programs and duties in support of Canadian Archery. Hopefully you can provide most of the horsepower for the programs you require!
I very much wish that I could have been there to speak to each of these items personally, but this report, I’m sure will cause some debate on its own!
I look forward to positive direction coming from you at this meeting to myself, and the Executive Committee.
 Al Wills received this shipment on Thursday, October 24th, 2002.